Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    sb70012 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    The girl disappeared two days before she was reported to be missing.
    The girl had disappeared two days before she was reported to be missing.

    Hi friends,

    Are both correct? In my opinion the first one is incorrect and the second one is correct.
    I mean "had disappeared" is correct because the second part of the sentence is simple past tense then the first part of the sentence should go one step further back which
    is "past perfect"

    Self made
    Thank you
    Last edited by sb70012; 09-Oct-2013 at 21:50.

  2. #2
    Boris Tatarenko's Avatar
    Boris Tatarenko is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    I'm not a native speaker nor a teacher, but you're right.

    I do know the second is correct.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    The girl disappeared two days before she was reported to be missing.
    The girl had disappeared two days before she was reported to be missing.

    Hi friends,

    Are both correct? In my opinion the first one is incorrect and the second one is correct.
    I mean "had disappeared" is correct because the second part of the sentence is simple past tense then the first part of the sentence should go one step further back which
    is "past perfect"

    Self made
    Thank you
    We get this question often. Technically, the past perfect is correct in the sentence. However, when there are other time clues in the sentence which act to stage the order of the events in the past, one could make a case that the simple past is also correct. A BrE user would be more likely to use the past perfect in this sentence than an AmE user.

  4. #4
    sb70012 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Tatarenko View Post
    I'm not a native speaker nor a teacher, but you're right.

    I do know the second is correct.
    But once a native English speaker told me that both are correct.
    She made me more confused by saying that.
    Because the second part of the sentence is simple past tense then the first part of the sentence should go one step further back which
    is "past perfect"

  5. #5
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    A BrE user would be more likely to use the past perfect in this sentence than an AmE user.
    I, a speaker of BrE, don't think so. That's only my opinion - if you have any evidence to support your claim, then I'll accept it.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    In my opinion, they're both possible and acceptable.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I, a speaker of BrE, don't think so. That's only my opinion - if you have any evidence to support your claim, then I'll accept it.
    All I have are discussions with other BrE speakers.
    Last edited by MikeNewYork; 09-Oct-2013 at 23:32. Reason: typo

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Grammar: The girl (?) two days before she was ......

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    But once a native English speaker told me that both are correct.
    She made me more confused by saying that.
    Because the second part of the sentence is simple past tense then the first part of the sentence should go one step further back which
    is "past perfect"
    Several of us have said that both are correct. You understand the rule correctly, but rules are not always followed. In this case the phrase "two days before" establishes the time sequence of the past events.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Which one is correct 'Days mails' or 'Days mail' or 'Day's mails'
    By maniDcrazyboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2012, 14:09
  2. in three days / three days later / three days from today
    By tzfujimino in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2012, 18:08
  3. girl-on-girl action
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Nov-2010, 11:48
  4. [Grammar] few days ago or few days back
    By anupumh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2009, 11:24
  5. [General] Golden girl= lucky girl?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2008, 01:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk