Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I guess you are finding the literal meaning implausible. In AmE, it might mean "I want to play baseball with my friends."

super_ze1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I guess you are finding the literal meaning implausible. In AmE, it might mean "I want to play baseball with my friends."
are you sure ?? can you give me some references about it ???

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Are you sure? Can you give me some references concerning it?

Please note my corrections to your question.

Yeah dude, I'm sure. I've been speaking American English all my life, 66 years to date. In American slang, chasing flies can mean playing baseball. In my youth I chased a good many flies myself. Can you think of any other interpretation that might make sense?

super_ze1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Please note my corrections to your question.

Yeah dude, I'm sure. I've been speaking American English all my life, 66 years to date. In American slang, chasing flies can mean playing baseball. In my youth I chased a good many flies myself. Can you think of any other interpretation that might make sense?
yes, thank you. But i don't know why my sentence "Are you sure?" is wrong ???

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, thank you. But I don't know why my sentence "Are you sure?" is wrong? [strike]???[/strike]

Probus corrected your "Are you sure?" question because you did not start it with a capital letter, you left a space before the question mark and you used three question marks. There are rules in written English and you need to follow them when you post on this forum:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

super_ze1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Probus corrected your "Are you sure?" question because you did not start it with a capital letter, you left a space before the question mark and you used three question marks. There are rules in written English and you need to follow them when you post on this forum:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
Oh, yes. I'm sorry. I will follow them. Thanks all.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I guess you're asking to be challenged whether you are sure if you say "it might mean ..." rather than, say, "In AmE, it would almost certainly mean ..., if it wasn't mean literally." In fact I wasn't sure whether you knew you were right either.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Not being that familiar with AmE slang, I would have said it meant "killing time".

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
It might be helpful for the OP to know that in baseball a "fly ball" is one that's hit high into the air. So when players are training or friends are killing time by running around catching balls that are being hit into the air, it's sometimes referred to as "chasing flies".

Status
Not open for further replies.