Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's all very well for Americans not to pronounce the /t/ if they can do it and be understood. There are many subtle phonetic variations from the standard that are acceptable only because they are understandable. If you are not a native speaker, you should say the /t/. It's far more important that you are understood than that you drop the 't' on 'can't'.

To me it's not really about whether the /t/ is pronounced, but whether it is rendered in some audible way despite being weakened, clipped or shortened.

I usually explain can vs can't as using a physics wave diagram. People can tell the difference in AmE because the waveform ends abruptly in 'can't' --- just as abruptly as if you pronounced the /t/ --- whereas in 'can' the word tapers off over a rather long period of time in the voiced nasal consonant.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks ems.

There was a time when I said "don't", I didn't pronounce the "T's". My child's American teacher told me that I should pronounce the "T's". What is your opinion about that?

Sounds often change in connected speech- we drop or add sounds to link things together. If you pronounce the /t/, you will always be understood.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear members:

In my answer to this question, I have been told by my English phonology and phonetics teacher who has an american accent or style, that the alviolar stop consonants sound [T], [P] and [K], which are unvoiced or voiceless, not to be spit (spat) when they are at the end of a word, just to made a slightly sound.

In regards to the word CAN and CAN'T, he also has taught me the following:

1) When CAN is at the end of a sentence has its full pronunciation or sound; as if it were isolated, for example:

Can you teach me how to dance?

Yes, I can. /kæn/

I would like to go with you, but that depends if you can. /kæn/

2) When CAN is not at the end of a sentence, the vowel ''A'' becomes Schwa /ə/

Can you go with me to the market Yulian? /kən/

I can go with you Carlos, but a little later. /kən/

3) About CAN'T, I have been taught the following:

a° = In negative, the sounds remain strong and consequently do not change to Schwa sound.

b°) = The dental nasal consonant [N] is voiced and the alviolar stop consonant [T] is unvoiced or voiceless, so the voicing of the [N[ removes the unvoiced [T], but in this process the [T[ takes the voicing sound away from the [N] and let the [N] unvoiced, becoming the CAN'Tsound shorter than the normal. it sounds like CAN,
but a little shorter.

c°) = Does this phonological phenomenon happen in British English (BrE)?

Sincerely,

The Apprentice.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me it's not really about whether the /t/ is pronounced, but whether it is rendered in some audible way despite being weakened, clipped or shortened.

I usually explain can vs can't as using a physics wave diagram. People can tell the difference in AmE because the waveform ends abruptly in 'can't' --- just as abruptly as if you pronounced the /t/ --- whereas in 'can' the word tapers off over a rather long period of time in the voiced nasal consonant.

Exactly. There isn't necessarily a full glottal stop replacing the t. A small hint of a stop is sufficient for intelligibilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.