Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi everyone ! I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So, bare with me. I was reading a book called Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittermore and I came across a line I can't understand. Here it is -

"He sees the enemy. Oh yes, he sees them. But he sees their forces surrounded. He sees an angelic army. Great winged men with swords of light and halos of gold. He sees them lining the mountains that hem together this canyon. He sees horses emerging from fiery skies and chariots with wheels of sunset cloud. He sees riders with bows drawn and arrows of flame fixed on their adversaries."

Particularly I can't the understand the meaning of "sunset cloud" here.
Please explain it to me. Have a nice day !

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
He sees horses emerging from fiery skies and chariots with wheels of sunset cloud.

Particularly I can't the understand the meaning of "sunset cloud" here.
Please explain it to me. Have a nice day !

Hi garg:

The language is poetic. Given that the skies from which he sees the horses emerging are fiery, the time may be presumed to be sunset. Therefore the wheels of the chariots may be made of sunset cloud. I wouldn't call this passage good writing.

gargS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi garg:

The language is poetic. Given that the skies from which he sees the horses emerging are fiery, the time may be presumed to be sunset. Therefore the wheels of the chariots may be made of sunset cloud. I wouldn't call this passage good writing.
Actually the time depicted here in the scene is just before the sunrise. Also, I don't think the wheels themselves are made of sunset cloud, considering how it says "cloud" rather than "clouds". I wonder if the word "cloud" has been used as a verb meaning "overcast". Which means that the phrase "wheels made of sunset cloud" can be interpreted as chariots having wheels of sunset colour overcast the sky. But that's just me. What do you think ?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yikes!

Okay, for starters, you may recall that the Ancient Greeks viewed the sun's motion across the sky as a mystery, which they explained by the myth of Helios's chariot: HELIUS : Greek Titan god of the sun ; mythology ; pictures : HELIOS, SOL .

English poets of the romantic era also evoked their land's partly Celtic past using imagery relating to a similar vehicle -- as the Celts, like many ancient peoples from Biblical times such as the Egyptians, lacked larger Arabian horses and instead went to battle with 2 steeds drawing a chariot.

And did those feet in ancient time.
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land...

I find the language is poetic in your passage, as Probus says, but I find it well written, unlike our friend. Wheels of sunset cloud, in my view, mean wheels made from clouds of the colour of the sunset. In your passage, the imagery is intended to be Biblical in style.

gargS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yikes!

Okay, for starters, you may recall that the Ancient Greeks viewed the sun's motion across the sky as a mystery, which they explained by the myth of Helios's chariot: HELIUS : Greek Titan god of the sun ; mythology ; pictures : HELIOS, SOL .

English poets of the romantic era also evoked their land's partly Celtic past using imagery relating to a similar vehicle -- as the Celts, like many ancient peoples from Biblical times such as the Egyptians, lacked larger Arabian horses and instead went to battle with 2 steeds drawing a chariot.

And did those feet in ancient time.
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land...

I find the language is poetic in your passage, as Probus says, but I find it well written, unlike our friend. Wheels of sunset cloud, in my view, mean wheels made from clouds of the colour of the sunset. In your passage, the imagery is intended to be Biblical in style.
Might as well be possible. Thanks anyway !

Status
Not open for further replies.