Student or Learner
Native Language
Mongolian
Home Country
Mongolia
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

Let's say I did not understand a theory at school/university. I am trying to write my teacher/lecturer to clarify.

In this case, do I have to say: "I need clarification on the theory" (please ignore the politeness level, this is just an example).

Or do I have say that "I need a clarification on the theory" ( here I am referring to specific one rather general )

My main question is related to whether clarification is a countable noun or uncountable, all my dictionaries say this noun is both countable and uncountable at the same time.

Or both above sentences are acceptable? Are there any differences in the meanings?

Thank you for your time and help.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

Let's say I did not understand a theory at school/university. I am trying to write my teacher/lecturer to clarify.

In this case, do I have to say: "I need clarification on the theory" (please ignore the politeness level, this is just an example).

Or do I have say that "I need a clarification on the theory" ( here I am referring to specific one rather general )

My main question is related to whether clarification is a countable noun or uncountable, all my dictionaries say this noun is both countable and uncountable at the same time.

Or both above sentences are acceptable? Are there any differences in the meanings?

Thank you for your time and help.

In this case, "clarification" needs no article. You are talking about "clarification" in general. I would usually use "clarification of the theory".

Status
Not open for further replies.