Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
From The North American Review:

1. If this be the motive of the philanthropist, the economist will show him that he is making an unwise application of his money in giving it to a mendicant.

2. If this be the true explanation of the great service which the lower memory sometimes renders to eminent minds, it would follow that it is not by the direct cultivation of the memory, but rather by cultivating this cause of it that discipline can be useful.

What I learnt was, if a writer chooses the present subjunctive, it must be referring to the present, so the main clause has will, like sentence one, while would require the past subjunctive: were, never be; did I learn the wrong thing or does the writer make a grammatical mistake in sentence 2?

Thank you. Joe.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

1. If this be the motive of the philanthropist, the economist will show him that he is making an unwise application of his money in giving it to a mendicant.

2. If this be the true explanation of the great service which the lower memory sometimes renders to eminent minds, it would follow that it is not by the direct cultivation of the memory, but rather by cultivating this cause of it that discipline can be useful.

What I learnt was, if a writer chooses the present subjunctive, it must be referring to the present, so the main clause has will, like sentence one, while would require the past subjunctive: were, never be; did I learn the wrong thing or does the writer make a grammatical mistake in sentence 2?

Thank you. Joe.

This language appears to be quite old. I cannot figure out what the second sentence means.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The second seems odd to me- were/would would be a more obvious pairing, though I too can't work out the meaning.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Is it an old quote, or were they quoting an older text? That would most likely help us discern the meaning which now escapes us.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
More context might help with #2, I agree, though, that "were/would" would be more natural than "be/would".

Status
Not open for further replies.