Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi!

Maybe this question will be a little bit out of topic but I haven`t found a better one:)sry:(

I came to England 3 months ago to work and start a new life.Everything`s going really good except from the thing that however I want to I can`t understand the accent (PORTSMOUTH) .Whenever my collegues talk to me I have to say sorry,pardon would you repeat it? What p****s me off is that when I came here from Hungary I already could understand the movies without subtitles and so on... First I thought I might be because of the accent and that I would get used to it in a month.I use it everyday since I arrived I only speak hungarian when I talk to my parents on skype ,I even started thinking in english but when it comes to understanding I always get lost .Do you think it`ll get better? What can I do to make it better?? thank you for your advices! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi!

Maybe this question will be a little bit out of topic but I haven`t found a better one:)sry:(

I came to England 3 months ago to work and start a new life.Everything`s going really good except from the thing that however I want to I can`t understand the accent (PORTSMOUTH) .Whenever my collegues talk to me I have to say sorry,pardon would you repeat it? What p****s me off is that when I came here from Hungary I already could understand the movies without subtitles and so on... First I thought I might be because of the accent and that I would get used to it in a month.I use it everyday since I arrived I only speak hungarian when I talk to my parents on skype ,I even started thinking in english but when it comes to understanding I always get lost .Do you think it`ll get better? What can I do to make it better?? thank you for your advices! :)

The simple answer is just give it time. Three months isn't very long and some people on the south coast of the UK do have quite a strong accent. I'm sure your colleagues understand - it's your second language so some of them might make allowances. Others won't but there's nothing you can do about that.

It looks as if you need to concentrate on your written English too. When posting on the forum, remember the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Capitalise all proper nouns.
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Use full English words. "sry" is not a word.

I have underlined each error from that list in your post above. There are grammatical and spelling errors but concentrate on the rules above first.

KatrinaB88

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
Hi.

Just give it time. Remain positive and just keep talking! Regional dialects, accents and slang vary hugely all over the English speaking world, so it would not be possible to be fluent in all accents/dialects etc. Even native speakers of English will struggle when they first encounter a different accent/dialect of English. I believe with time and lots more exposure to and practice with the accent/dialect, you will find your confidence grows and it gets easier to understand.

Good luck.

Ryepower92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thank you for the encouragements,I hope one day It`ll happen:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
BrE speakers can have trouble with some regional accents. Are you making much progress?

Ryepower92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I think it`s getting better but still I wish they had subtitles.. :) sometimes I understand more then I think I`ve made progress then they start speaking faster and I lose confidence again:) I watch a lot of american movie because I fully understand them just to convince myself that it`s not my problem:)

Status
Not open for further replies.