• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Question letter to a friend

Hello everyone!
    I've written a letter to my English friend, but now I am a bit confused about the right order of the sentences.
    Could you please help me with correcting it? I don't want my friend to think that I'm rude and unpolite :)

Here it is:

Dear Jan
    1) I hope you are all well, and that youíve recovered from the busy Christmas period.
    2) Iím writing to ask you a favor. Iím coming down to London at the end of the month to go to a conference. 3) Itís the 22nd Ė 24th January. 4) Could you put me up for a few days? 5) I donít mind where you put me. 6) Iíll sleep anywhere!
    7) There is something else Iíd like to ask you. 8) Could I have a bite to eat when I arrive? 9) Just a sandwich will do. 10) I hope thatís all right.
    11) Write soon and let me know.
    Best wishes
    Maria

Is it okay to start a letter like that? Or should have I started it with a direct request (like in sentence 2)? And do you think it's correct to use sentence 10 in the end?
    Thanks for your help!

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: letter to a friend

Quote Originally Posted by englishlerner3r3 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I've written a letter to my English friend, but now I am a bit confused about the right order of the sentences.
    Could you please help me with correcting it? I don't want my friend to think that I'm rude and unpolite :)

Here it is:

Dear Jan
    1) I hope you are all well, and that you’ve recovered from the busy Christmas period.
    2) I’m writing to ask you a favor. I’m coming down to London at the end of the month to go to a conference. 3) It’s the 22nd – 24th January. 4) Could you put me up for a few days? 5) I don’t mind where you put me. 6) I’ll sleep anywhere!
    7) There is something else I’d like to ask you. 8) Could I have a bite to eat when I arrive? 9) Just a sandwich will do. 10) I hope that’s all right.
    11) Write soon and let me know.
    Best wishes
    Maria

Is it okay to start a letter like that? Or should have I started it with a direct request (like in sentence 2)? And do you think it's correct to use sentence 10 in the end?
    Thanks for your help!
    Welcome to the forum.

I hope you're not planning to put the numbers in the post as you have above. Your letter is very formal for a letter to a friend! Your friend must have been very busy at Christmas 2012 to have taken until October 2013 to recover from it.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: letter to a friend

And I would drop sentences 7-10.
    We expect to feed our guests.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.