Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone!
I've written a letter to my English friend, but now I am a bit confused about the right order of the sentences.
Could you please help me with correcting it? I don't want my friend to think that I'm rude and unpolite :)

Here it is:

Dear Jan
1) I hope you are all well, and that you’ve recovered from the busy Christmas period.
2) I’m writing to ask you a favor. I’m coming down to London at the end of the month to go to a conference. 3) It’s the 22nd – 24th January. 4) Could you put me up for a few days? 5) I don’t mind where you put me. 6) I’ll sleep anywhere!
7) There is something else I’d like to ask you. 8) Could I have a bite to eat when I arrive? 9) Just a sandwich will do. 10) I hope that’s all right.
11) Write soon and let me know.
Best wishes
Maria

Is it okay to start a letter like that? Or should have I started it with a direct request (like in sentence 2)? And do you think it's correct to use sentence 10 in the end?
Thanks for your help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone!
I've written a letter to my English friend, but now I am a bit confused about the right order of the sentences.
Could you please help me with correcting it? I don't want my friend to think that I'm rude and unpolite :)

Here it is:

Dear Jan
1) I hope you are all well, and that you’ve recovered from the busy Christmas period.
2) I’m writing to ask you a favor. I’m coming down to London at the end of the month to go to a conference. 3) It’s the 22nd – 24th January. 4) Could you put me up for a few days? 5) I don’t mind where you put me. 6) I’ll sleep anywhere!
7) There is something else I’d like to ask you. 8) Could I have a bite to eat when I arrive? 9) Just a sandwich will do. 10) I hope that’s all right.
11) Write soon and let me know.
Best wishes
Maria

Is it okay to start a letter like that? Or should have I started it with a direct request (like in sentence 2)? And do you think it's correct to use sentence 10 in the end?
Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you're not planning to put the numbers in the post as you have above. Your letter is very formal for a letter to a friend! Your friend must have been very busy at Christmas 2012 to have taken until October 2013 to recover from it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I would drop sentences 7-10.
We expect to feed our guests.