Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Norwegian
Home Country
Norway
Current Location
Norway
I'm currently studying English and I'm having a hard time understanding one of the tasks given by the teacher.

The task is:

"Identify the clause patterns of the main clauses, and write down all the words that belong to the individual clause elements (S, V, O, C, A). What meaning or use is typically associated with the respective clause patterns? Do you find that this meaning matches the usage in the text?"

The text:

Most verbs are regular (O), in that their forms (S) can be predicted (V) by a small set of rules (O). About 300 verbs(S) in English are (V) irregular (O), in that some of the forms (S) are (V) partly (A) or wholly unpredictable.

The letters in brackets are added by me, but I'm not sure if I'm correct. I feel confident as far as the subject and verb, but not the rest. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Here's a hint - nouns and adjectives following linking verbs are not labelled as objects. :-D

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would love to help you, but I believe that your teacher does not use the American system, which is the one I know. Sorry.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.