Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    goodstudent is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I no longer have time to use them.

    I am selling some of my stuff because I do not have time to use them. I want to say something like:

    1) "I am selling them because I no longer have time to use them."

    2) "I am selling them because I no longer have time to use them due to new work commitments."

    Q1) Are the above sentences 1), 2) correct?

    Q2) Please suggest me more reasons that can support the reason why I do not have time.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    I am selling some of my stuff because I do not have time to use them. I want to say something like:

    1) "I am selling them because I no longer have time to use them."

    2) "I am selling them because I no longer have time to use them due to new work commitments."

    Q1) Are the above sentences 1), 2) correct?

    Q2) Please suggest me more reasons that can support the reason why I do not have time.

    Thanks.
    I am selling some of my stuff because I no longer have use for them/need them.

  3. #3
    goodstudent is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I am selling some of my stuff because I no longer have use for them/need them.
    Can I say

    "I am selling some of my stuff because I no longer have time to use them"

  4. #4
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Stuff is singular.

    You're selling some of your stuff because you no longer have time to use it.
    You're selling some of your things because you no longer have time to use them.

    (How can we suggest why you don't have time to enjoy your possessions? We don't know what's going on in your life!)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Stuff is singular.

    You're selling some of your stuff because you no longer have time to use it.
    You're selling some of your things because you no longer have time to use them.

    (How can we suggest why you don't have time to enjoy your possessions? We don't know what's going on in your life!)
    You raise a good point, but I see "stuff" as plural in that context. I would never say "You're selling some of your stuff because you no longer have time to use it." "Things" is a good compromise.

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    You raise a good point, but I see "stuff" as plural in that context. I would never say "You're selling some of your stuff because you no longer have time to use it." "Things" is a good compromise.
    I'd call "stuff" a non-count noun there, as in "some of your luggage". We don't say "Where are your stuff, so I can look at them and see if I want to buy them."

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I'd call "stuff" a non-count noun there, as in "some of your luggage". We don't say "Where are your stuff, so I can look at them and see if I want to buy them."
    For me, "stuff" (in that context) is a collection of random items. If "Government" can be seen as plural, so can "stuff".

  8. #8
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    For me, "stuff" (in that context) is a collection of random items. If "Government" can be seen as plural, so can "stuff".
    Not to this speaker of BrE.

  9. #9
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    "Stuff" takes the singular for this BrE speaker too.

    I have stuff.
    Where is it?
    It's in the garage.

    Where's your stuff?
    It's still in the car.

    As far as the OP's question goes, you can say "I don't have time to use it" but if you really are selling some of your stuff, you don't need to explain why you're selling it. The buyer simply needs to know that whatever it is, it's still in good/working condition and that you're not selling it because it's broken. That is covered by simply saying "I don't need it any more".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  10. #10
    goodstudent is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I no longer have time to use them.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That is covered by simply saying "I don't need it any more".
    There is no price label on the item, I am wondering when a seller said "I don't need it any more", will the buyer make a lower offer? And will the buyer thinks that the seller would be selling it cheap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Apr-2013, 20:10
  2. [Grammar] I may need to spend a longer time to complete my work.
    By uktous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2013, 02:05
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2012, 22:02
  4. [Grammar] The more I.... and the longer I...
    By Yura Reiri in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2011, 12:51
  5. [Grammar] This job is longer or longer than expected
    By Tinabien in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Dec-2010, 12:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •