Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
This is the sentences:

Although this book has taken on revered status, much of it remains helpful and relevant.

Which word you would choose to replace 'taken on' in this sentences.

And

how would you explain excatly the same thing in this sentences but with other words.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Although this book has taken on revered status, much of it remains helpful and relevant."
And the sentence doesn't make sense. If the book has become revered, wouldn't that indicate that it's more likely, rather than less, that much of it remains helpful and relevant. So, "although" is used wrongly.

brend10

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Is this homework?

Also, have you looked it up in a dictionary? Here you have some, just in case: OneLook: General dictionary sites

No, not homework. I'm 53 years old. I am reading a book. I read a lot. I'm trying to read some English books. Of course, I use dictionary a lot. But sometimes it doesn't help to know the meaning of the sentences.
Thank you.

brend10

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I understand your explanations last bit. although is used wrongly.
but the rest of your explanation I didn't understand at all.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I understand your explanations last bit. although is used wrongly.
but the rest of your explanation I didn't understand at all.
If you're referring to my post, that's OK. My comment was peripheral to your question.
'acquired' would be my preferred synonym for "taken on".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is the sentences:

Although this book has taken on revered status, much of it remains helpful and relevant.

Which word you would choose to replace 'taken on' in this sentences.

And

how would you explain excatly the same thing in this sentences but with other words.

I agree with Raymott's choice of "acquired" as a replacement for "taken on". His comments about "although" were also correct. The conjunction "although" means "in spite of the fact that" or "even though". When it is used, it sets up the idea of a contrast. Even though A happened, B happened. A "revered book" being helpful and relevant is not a contrast. That it is helpful and relevant is a significant reason that it is "revered".
The implication of "revered" here is that the book has been around for a long time. A better way to phrase the sentence is:

Although this revered book is a bit dated, much of it remains helpful and relevant. With that revision, the contrast is set up between "dated" and "remains helpful and relevant". That works because dated things are not always relevant in modern times.

brend10

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Status
Not open for further replies.