Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's a title of a piece of news: Fan Returns Soccer Star's Lucky T-shirt.
What is the meaning of lucky T-shirt? As I found it in google, I guess it's a brand in clothing industry. Does it have another meaning like being lucky with it or something?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
IMO, it may either refer to:

- a t-shirt which brought good luck to the soccer star (who gave it away as a present or donated it, for example), or
- a t-shirt that the player threw to the people watching the match after scoring a goal and the fan was lucky enough to grab before anyone else did.

Of course, it may also say, as you suggest, that the t-shirt in question was manufactured/sold by the clothing brand. But since you said you were quoting from a headline, I feel inclined to doubt about this last option.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a title of a piece of news: Fan Returns Soccer Star's Lucky T-shirt.
What is the meaning of lucky T-shirt? As I found it in google, I guess it's a brand in clothing industry. Does it have another meaning like being lucky with it or something?

In my opinion, the first of Charlie's options is the most likely. Many sports figures have a piece of clothing that they always wear because they think it brings them good luck. The fan who gave back the T-shirt may have wanted the good luck to continue.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In my opinion, the first of Charlie's options is the most likely. Many sports figures have a piece of clothing that they always wear because they think it brings them good luck. The fan who gave back the T-shirt may have wanted the good luck to continue.

I can't figure out why a sports figure would ever give away their lucky shirt! If I had a lucky shirt, I would keep it always and never have a thought of donation or making a present of it. Isn't it weird that you throw something that brings you good luck to the crowd?
Thanks,

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't figure out why a sports figure would ever give away their lucky shirt! If I had a lucky shirt, I would keep it always and never have a thought of donation or making a present of it. Isn't it weird that you throw something that brings you good luck to the crowd?
Thanks,

I agree, but it depends on context. Suppose the kid had cancer and was at the game because of the Make-a-Wish foundation. I think it is even less likely that a random fan received a random T-shirt and decided to give it back.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or maybe he just forgot it somewhere. Left it behind on the bench.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Seriously? People can conjecture that he gave it away in a charity auction, but the very idea of simply walking away from an item for long enough for someone to take it is unlikely? Okay then.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Seriously? People can conjecture that he gave it away in a charity auction, but the very idea of simply walking away from an item for long enough for someone to take it is unlikely? Okay then.

Sports guys are very concerned about their lucky items. The likelihood is that he was wearing it until he gave it away.

Last edited by a moderator:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Or maybe he just forgot it somewhere. Left it behind on the bench.

Unlikely.

I'm with Barb on this one. I simply did not think of this possibility when I posted my answer. About the unlikeliness that Mike claims, let me tell you something: I know a guy who was riding his bike with his wife riding pillion. He stopped to have a rest and fill the tank. Then he left, and he realised some miles ahead that he was riding alone! So, if someone can forget his wife (or significant other, as you like), imagine a t-shirt, irrespective of the luck it may bring!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm with Barb on this one. I simply did not think of this possibility when I posted my answer. About the unlikeliness that Mike claims, let me tell you something: I know a guy who was riding his bike with his wife riding pillion. He stopped to have a rest and fill the tank. Then he left, and he realised some miles ahead that he was riding alone! So, if someone can forget his wife (or significant other, as you like), imagine a t-shirt, irrespective of the luck it may bring!

How do you know he didn't forget her on purpose? :lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

So am I- I once left my dog outside a shop and was on my home when I remembered. :puppydog:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm too embarrassed to mention what my wife and I left behind once.

I'll merely say that my daughter was 20 before we told her about it. :oops:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm too embarrassed to ask what it means, but I guess one of the meaning of 'leave behind' is producing a baby. Am I right?
No. It means 'not bring with you'. We went to the park with our baby daughter, and started for home without her. We left her behind.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
How do you know he didn't forget her on purpose? :lol:

They are both still happily married.

PS: At least, they are still married. Maybe we should ask them about "happily" anyway :twisted:.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sports guys are very concerned about their lucky items. The likelihood is that he was wearing it until he gave it away.

It will have needed a very good wash then!

Status
Not open for further replies.