Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The prospect of traveling back to this delightful state of things is held out by nearly every writer who touches upon classical mythology, above all by the poets. In that infinitely remote time primitive man could
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.
And we for a moment can catch, through the myths he made, a glimpse of that strangely and beautifully animated world.

Source1: The Classic Bestseller Mythology by Edith Hamilton [Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes]
Source2: http://www.scribd.com/doc/105915835/...lton-Mythology

Hi, I checked the meanings of Triton and Proteus in Wikipedia. It says that they both are sea gods but what's the difference between Triton and Proteus? Sure there is a difference between these two in there features and works but I can't see what the difference is. Wikipedia says that Triton is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite but what about Proteus? Is Proteus the brother of Triton or it sister?
Triton (mythology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Proteus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks in advance

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With all due respect, this is not a question about the English language. It is a question about Greek mythology. I am moving this thread to "General Language Discussions". I suggest you continue your research into the connection between Triton and Proteus in your own language. I am sure the answer is out there on the wonderful World Wide Web.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The prospect of traveling back to this delightful state of things is held out by nearly every writer who touches upon classical mythology, above all by the poets. In that infinitely remote time primitive man could
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.
And we for a moment can catch, through the myths he made, a glimpse of that strangely and beautifully animated world.

Source1: The Classic Bestseller Mythology by Edith Hamilton [Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes]
Source2: http://www.scribd.com/doc/105915835/...lton-Mythology

Hi, I checked the meanings of Triton and Proteus in Wikipedia. It says that they both are sea gods but what's the difference between Triton and Proteus? Sure there is a difference between these two in there features and works but I can't see what the difference is. Wikipedia says that Triton is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite but what about Proteus? Is Proteus the brother of Triton or it sister?
Triton (mythology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Proteus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks in advance

Proteus and Triton were both sea gods. The name "Proteus" is derived from the Greek word for first. That suggests to some that Proteus was the eldest son of Poseidon, older than Triton, another son of Poseidon.

Status
Not open for further replies.