What does the word 'proved' mean in this phrase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denisius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
I couldn't get why the word 'proved' placed before the words 'the knees' in this phrase https://soundcloud.com/researcher76/prove, because it's meaningless for me in the context of the phrase: "And this joint here the top proved the nees to move over".
So be so kind and tell me what nuance I didn't get.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think he says "this joint here at the top probably needs to move over ."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think he says "this joint here at the top probably needs to move over ."
That's what I caught. It's not very clear.

Denisius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Barb_D and 5jj, thanks a lot for your help!
Nevertheless I'm curious to know why the narrator swallowed the consonants 'b' and 'l', because however hard I tried to catch the word 'probably', I failed in that. As far as I know from English phonetics, any voiced consonants must be pronounced clear and mustn't be deafened. So there are probably some changes in English phonetics which I don't know about. If so, please let me know about them.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As far as I know from English phonetics, any voiced consonants must be pronounced clear and mustn't be deafened..
There's no 'must' about it. In everyday conversation, many speakers speak an incredible variety of ways.

Denisius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
5jj, and again I'm grateful to you for your answer. It's quite encouraging because if there is no 'must' and, as I hope, no 'should' then a part of mine that tends to anarchy is going to cry - halleluiah! And if someone reproach me for my totally incomprehensible English one day, I'll be glad to tell him something like "Esfads fdfj adfkj iopwer jldfj!", and it'll be his(her) own problem if he(she) doesn't get me.
5jj, my sensei, for a moment you showed me that perfect world I'd like to live in. lots of thanks to you for that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The word "probably" is not clearly enunciated by many people. In fact, I have noticed over the last couple of years that some people have even started to write it as "prolly". Note that that is not a standard English word and should not be used by learners in any situation. I myself say "probly" quite frequently. This is what you would hear in an informal conversation:

Are you going to Tom's party tonight?
Probly not.

In fact, you might hear "You going to Tom's party tonight?" or even "Going to Tom's party tonight?" too in that informal conversation.

If you transcribed that conversation, you would write "Probably".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I've seen both 'prolly' and 'probly'; and heard both /prɒli/ and /prɒbli/. Just think about all the effort needed to make that extra /bə/ ;-)

b

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't say I've heard anyone try to say "probably" without the "r", though. I don't think it's a BrE thing, either. The guy probably just got a little tongue-tied.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't say I've heard anyone try to say "probably" without the "r", though. I don't think it's a BrE thing, either. The guy probably just got a little tongue-tied.

I'm confused. I can't see any suggestion in any of the posts in this thread that anyone tries to pronounce "probably" without the "r".

Denisius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
emsr2d2, your reply's, as almost always, comprehensive and informative. May I also call you my sensei from this moment?

BobK, I myself suffer from all those efforts to produce tons of sounds day by day, but up to now, all my tries to telepathize something into someone's head were unsuccessful. Nevertheless, God is my witness, I did try hard. Now I think the main reason of my failures is our skulls' thickness. Why do I think so? Well, it's because of my cat Britney that literally died with my telepathy when I was trying to telepathize a couple of my dirty thoughts to a girl standing outside. After long consideration I concluded from the accident that Britney could successfully receive my thoughts due to its thin skull bones, but died from some kind of cognitive dissonance. So, dear BobK, we'll both have to wait until some British scientists somehow solve the problem of "the bony head" and then we'll be able to communicate with each other as respectable and rational beings without any burdensome articulation.

SlickVic9000, if you meant that a modern version of the word 'probably' should sound without 'r' within, well, then we are all a step closer to a total "freedom of speech".

Last edited:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm confused. I can't see any suggestion in any of the posts in this thread that anyone tries to pronounce "probably" without the "r".

What I'm saying is the guy in the sound clip doesn't seem to even enunciate the "r". It sounds like he skips straight to the "o".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
:up: I've seen both 'prolly' and 'probly'; and heard both /prɒli/ and /prɒbli/. Just think about all the effort needed to make that extra /bə/ ;-)

b

Deffo

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: (I have a feeling that Pob used to do it, but that was on children's TV and probably not the best model!)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.