The sentence is "He is clever." The word is "clever".

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The sentence is "He is clever."
The word is "clever".

I was taught British English and to punctuate as shown above.

Do Americans punctuate differently with the period inside the quotation for the second sentence?

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would put the full stop (period) after the quote in both sentences.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
However, that is generally considered incorrect. All printed books place the period inside the quotes, on both sides of the pond. Informally, i.e. people who type their own English on a typewriter or on a computer, the reverse seems more common, as 5jj seems to indicate.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, I have always been taught/told to put the full stop outside the quotes unless an entire sentence (which would end with a full stop anyway) is enclosed within the quotation marks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is "He is clever."
The word is "clever".

I was taught British English and to punctuate as shown above.

Do Americans punctuate differently with the period inside the quotation for the second sentence?

Thanks.

In AmE, most people (I think) would punctuate the sentences as you have. The second does not contain a quote, it contains an highlighted word.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must disagree with Mike. American style, no matter how illogical, puts the period inside the quote. Always. Always. It doesn't make sense. But it's the way it is.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must disagree with Mike. American style, no matter how illogical, puts the period inside the quote. Always. Always. It doesn't make sense. But it's the way it is.

I gave up that "always" years ago. Many others have also. Did you know that the American quotation mark convention was determined by printers? It seems that this was based on the fragility of certain punctuation type pieces. For me I choose logic over preferences that no longer serve a purpose.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I did know that, but I also write for a living and it's tedious to have the editor have to correct everything to the standards dictated by style guides if I go by logic instead of what the style requires.

If you're writing to your friend, do what you want. If you're writing for publication in the U.S., save your editor some work and put the punctuation inside the quote mark.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, I did know that, but I also write for a living and it's tedious to have the editor have to correct everything to the standards dictated by style guides if I go by logic instead of what the style requires.

If you're writing to your friend, do what you want. If you're writing for publication in the U.S., save your editor some work and put the punctuation inside the quote mark.

Exactly. Typographical convention trumps logic every time.

And in my opinion, it is no different in BrE.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I will write as I write, and leave the editors to sort it out. That's what they do.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In BrE, I have always been taught/told to put the full stop outside the quotes unless an entire sentence (which would end with a full stop anyway) is enclosed within the quotation marks.

I have several books here printed by George Allen & Unwin, from the UK, and they are all punctuated with the full stop inside the (single) quotes. {edit} I've checked several other British publishers as well, including Penguin, Pan, and Oxford University Press. No periods outside the quotes at all. I think you're remembering the rule about parentheses.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have several books here printed by George Allen & Unwin, from the UK, and they are all punctuated with the full stop inside the (single) quotes. {edit} I've checked several other British publishers as well, including Penguin, Pan, and Oxford University Press. No periods outside the quotes at all. I think you're remembering the rule about parentheses.
Many British publishers do follow that convention, but not all.

The actual situation in the UK is fairly fluid.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[h=3]Taken from this website: Quotation Marks

Punctuation inside or outside final quotation mark?
[/h]If the quoted words end with a full stop, then the full stop goes inside the quotation marks. If the quoted words do not end with a full stop, then the full stop goes outside the quotation marks:

• He said: "I love you."
  • She has read "War and Peace".
Note that in US English, the full stop usually goes inside the quotation marks in all cases:

• He said: "I love you."
  • She has read "War and Peace."
However, US English adopts the British style for question marks and exclamation marks:

• He said: "Do you love me?"
  • Have you read "War and Peace"?
  • Can you imagine? He has never read "War and Peace"!

I am not saying they are the be-all and end-all of instructions at all, and I'm not disputing that you have found many examples of the full stop being put inside the quotation marks, but the advice above matches exactly my understanding (and teaching) of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.