Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is the term bluestocking offensive(in any way) is used to refer to an intellectual woman?

can I have an alternative to 'crocodile tears' expression. Just want to try something new....:)

thank you

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 It might sound patronising and it has connotations of dowdiness. It's not neutral IMO.
2 Are you looking for another expression and not something like fake tears?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It also suggests that women should not be intellectual, that a women involved in intellectual pursuits is an oddity.

However, it might be unlikely to offend because I bet 90% of Americans under 30 have never heard this term.

Anyway, don't use it.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is the term bluestocking offensive (in any way) if used to refer to an intellectual woman?

Can I have an alternative to the 'crocodile tears' expression. I just want to try something new....:)

Thank you

I'm an elderly British male - so I'm probably not best qualified to comment!
However, I wouldn't use the expression when referring to anyone living in the present day, mainly because it is out of date. It relates to a period when intellectual women were very much in the minority, and so I might say "My grandmother graduated from university in 1910. She was a real bluestocking in her time", but I would never think of calling my daughter (who got her degree in the 1990's) a bluestocking. Things have moved on, and gender is [thank God] no longer an issue when it comes to intellectual attainment - in the more enlightened parts of the world, at least.

I'm afraid that nothing springs to mind as an alternative to "crocodile tears". Sorry!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard of "bluestocking".

5jj