Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Iran
hi
i have something to ask that is related to phonology.
long vowels are the long type of short vowels. if this is right, why is the long vowel marks are different from the short vowel marks?
for example the vowel of ( beat) is the long form of the vowel in ( bid) but the marks( except for the dots ) are different.
thanks...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In British English phonology, we use different vowel symbols for the vowels of beat and bit, because they differ in quality as well as length. There are some phoneticians who argue that we should not use a symbol to represent length, as the are not particularly helpful.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi .
I have something to ask that is related to phonology.
Long vowels are the long type of short vowels. If this is right, why [strike]is[/strike] are the long vowel marks [strike]are[/strike] different from the short vowel marks?
For example, the vowel of "beat" is the long form of the vowel in "bid" but the marks (except for the dots) are different.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

When posting on the forum, please follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Put a space before (but not after) an opening bracket.
- Put a space after (but not before) a closing bracket.
- Put quotation marks around words or phrases you are querying/quoting, not brackets.

mms66

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Iran
In British English phonology, we use different vowel symbols for the vowels of beat and bit, because they differ in quality as well as length. There are some phoneticians who argue that we should not use a symbol to represent length, as the are not particularly helpful.
what i mean is that the vowel mark for the word BIT is (ɪ) and for the word SEE is (i:). The two dots are special for length but still the marks are different. why...???

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
what i mean is that the vowel mark for the word BIT is (ɪ) and for the word SEE is (i:). The two dots are special for length but still the marks are different. why...???
I answered that question in my first response.

Please remember in future posts what emsr2d2 said:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.