[General] but very few now wd. call that ‘Christianity,’ (tho’ the words are there).

Status
Not open for further replies.

afaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Iran
Hi

Charles Darwin in his manuscript Autobiography wrote:
"I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true, for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother and almost all of my friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine."

Emma bracketed that passage and wrote in the margin:

"I should dislike the passage in brackets to be published. It seems to me raw. Nothing can be said too severe upon the doctrine of everlasting punishment for disbelief — but very few now wd. call that ‘Christianity,’ (tho’ the words are there)."

What are the meaning of two last sentences (colored ones)?

Dan Vanderheiden

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi

"I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true, for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother and almost all of my friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine."

"I should dislike the passage in brackets to be published. It seems to me raw. Nothing can be said too severe upon the doctrine of everlasting punishment for disbelief — but very few now wd. call that ‘Christianity,’ (tho’ the words are there)."

It's shorthand.

But very few now would call that 'Christianity', although the words are there.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi

The words mean that the concept of everlasting punishment for simply not believing is not consistent with Christian principles.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The words mean that the concept of everlasting punishment for simply not believing is not consistent with Christian principles.

As generally understood by contemporary Christians, who go beyond a literal interpretation of the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.