Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I have an English exam and there are 2 exercises "letter writing".
I haven't got a teacher who can check my letter :-(. It's a huge problem, so I hope you can help me. :up:
The first is an informal letter. I can write it, but I'm going to post them here as well.
The second is a formal letter. I suppose I can write it well, but I want to show you my works. If you show me my mistakes I can write the exam well and enroll into Univeristy without problems.

C2. You have 40 minutes to do this task.
Comment on the following statement.

It is common practice to study a foreign language at school in your own country. However, many people think that the best way to learn it to speak with native speakers.

What is your opinion? What do you think is the best way of studying a language?
Write 200-250 words.

-make an introduction (state the problem).
-express your personal opinion and give 2-3 reasons for your opinion.
-express an opposing opinion and give 1-2 reasons for this opposiing opinion.
-explain why you don't agree with the opposiong opinion.
-make a conclusion restating your position.

My letter is:

People have been studying foreign languages since time immemorial. Today we still learn them. The seconds or third language is getteing more and more necessary at present. What is the best way of studying language?
In my opinion, a native speaker teacher is the best and fastest way to learn language. First of all, this teacher knows his mother tongue perfectly and you can ask him anything. Secondly, if you ask something you should do it in foreign language. Consequently, a language barrier will disappear. Moreover, you will be talking only in foreign language and it is unshakeable experience. As a result you can speak the second language fluently and correctly.
On the other hand, some people claim to learn a language without any native speaker. They say that it is common practice and such teachers are so expensive. Not everyone can afford them. Besides, trips in foreign countries are so expensive as well. However, they agree with the statement that a native speaker is the fastest way of studying language.
I strongly disagree with this view, because in today's world we cannot live with one language. Therefore we are interested in the fastest way of learning language.
Despite other people's opinion I still believe that native speakers are the best way of having a perfect command of a language.

(220 words)

I want you to show me my mistakes (I know that I have them). I'll be grateful for your advice.
I think one letter in the week doesn't take a lot of time.

Thanks in advance.
Boris, who's learning English by himself.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Boris, please confirm that this is just writing for practice. This is not the esssay (not letter) that you will submit for a grade, right?

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, that's right.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type