Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I run into this question in a form and wondering if i understand it correctly or not?
Does it mean if i experienced of being in the U.S. military (as a soldier)or not?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [strike]run[/strike] ran into this question in a form and I am wondering if I [strike]understand[/strike] understood it correctly or not?

[strike]Does it mean[/strike] Is it asking if I have [strike]experienced[/strike] experience of being in the U.S. military (as a soldier) or not?

This should help you understand "affiliation with US military".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
According to that definition, I should think that 90% of the American population have been affiliated to the military at some time in their lives.

mehdi 100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you emsr2d2 and 5jj for your informative responses. I have another question:

Are these questions grammatically correct? "Is it asking if I experiencing of being in the U.S. military or not?"
"Is it asking if I experiencing to be in the U.S. military or not?"
I learned something about participial phrase and I want to know if it works in this way or not.

If I am posting my questions in a wrong place, please inform me the right category in this site to ask such simple questions!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you emsr2d2 and 5jj for your informative responses. I have another question:

Are these questions grammatically correct? "Is it asking if I experiencing of being in the U.S. military or not?"
"Is it asking if I experiencing to be in the U.S. military or not?"
I learned something about participial phrase and I want to know if it works in this way or not.

If I am posting my questions in a wrong place, please inform me the right category in this site to ask such simple questions!

No.

Is it asking if I have [any] experience​ of being in the US military?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to that definition, I should think that 90% of the American population have been affiliated to the military at some time in their lives.

A tiny fraction of that number.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Very scary. And Halloween's over.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Really? What's scary about working in service to your government?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My own father was an officer in the Canadian Armed Forces, so to me, nothing. But if 90% of a country's population were in it, that would remind me of the concept of the timocracy, and would conjure images of North Korea. And America's influence is vast -- so if it ever leaned in the direction of over-militarization, there would be consequences all around. Let's put it that way, as if it were purely hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.