Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 632
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Will become to would become

    Unfortunately there are some species of birds that because of man's carelessness are severely in danger and ..... extinct in near future.


    1. would become2. become3. have become4. will become

    ( What's wrong with No.4 ? )

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Will become to would become

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post
    Unfortunately there are some species of birds that because of man's carelessness are severely in danger and ..... extinct in near future.


    1. would become2. become3. have become4. will become

    ( What's wrong with No.4 ? )
    Nothing is wrong with #4. There is an article missing before "near", though.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 632
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Will become to would become

    The answer key says No.1 is the correct one here. They drive me crazy !!

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,117
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Will become to would become

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post
    The answer key says No.1 is the correct one here. They drive me crazy !!
    Number 4 is correct.

  3. panglossa's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2013
    • Posts: 50
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Will become to would become

    Yes, indeed, it's #4.

    Your answer key seems to be wrong!

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Will become to would become

    I think that answer is wrong - though it might be the best of the bunch. The following are all more truthful:
    5. may become
    6. might become
    7. could become
    8. will possibly become
    9. will probably become

    PS: On second thoughts, the above refers to species that have been named and identified. If we haven't identified which birds, then yes, there are species which will become extinct, but we don't know which ones yet.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,117
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Will become to would become

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I think that answer is wrong - though it might be the best of the bunch. The following are all more truthful:
    5. may become
    6. might become
    7. could become
    8. will possibly become
    9. will probably become

    PS: On second thoughts, the above refers to species that have been named and identified. If we haven't identified which birds, then yes, there are species which will become extinct, but we don't know which ones yet.
    You have raised interesting alternatives, but there is nothing wrong with #4.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Will become to would become

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    You have raised interesting alternatives, but there is nothing wrong with #4.
    That's what I said in my PS. I'll repeat it: "then yes, there are species which will become extinct."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •