• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Dominican Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The important of Schwa Sound in learning English pronunciation and listening

Dear teachers and members:

The following is my opinion in regard to the importance of Schwa Sound (
    ə) in learning English pronunciation and listening.

1) In English, a syllable is a segment of speech consisting of a consonant and a vowel, a consonant and a diphthong, a consonant and a triphthong, a syllabic consonant or only a vowel, which mades sound in a word, being the vowel the more important and the one who receives the stress changes.

2) I found that English has only four levels of stress pattern: Primary stress syllable, secondary stress syllable, unstressed syllable and vowel reduction, being the more frequent the unstressed syllable and a vowel reduction levels, also called Schwa Sound.

3)
    We can notice that there is more than a Schwa Sound in many multisyllable words (consonant /ˈkɒnnənt/, vulnerable /ˈvʌlnərəbəl/), but I have also noticed that there is no words with more than three Schwa Sounds.

4) Almost every multi-syllable word in English has unstressed syllable, and most of the function words in sentences have vowel reduction. It is said that more than 65 percent of words in a text are Schwa Sounds - including unstressed syllables as well as vowel reductions -. It is also said that the 100 more common function words
    (the, a, of, to, and, that, for, can, etc.) when are not alone or at the end of a sentence in English have vowel reduction, which means it becomes into Schwa Sound, so in other word, English is a Schwa Sound Language.

5) Finally, I encourage those who are learning English and specially those who are learning it as a second language to know the important of the Schwa Sound in learning English pronunciation and listening.

Please, I would like your comments about my opinion and I would appreciate to be clarified in any misunderstanding that I had written.

Very sincerely and my regards to all of you,

The Apprentice.
    Last edited by The apprentice; 13-Nov-2013 at 19:44. Reason: Spelling

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The important of Schwa Sound in learning English pronunciation and listening

"Importance" is the noun form.

The apprentice is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Dominican Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The important of Schwa Sound in learning English pronunciation and listening

Thank you SoothingDave:

You quite right; this is the correct form. (importance)

Regards,

The Apprentice.
    Last edited by The apprentice; 12-Nov-2013 at 21:11.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The apprentice View Post

1) In English, a syllable is a segment of speech consisting of a consonant and a vowel, a consonant and a diphthong, a consonant and a triphthong, a syllabic consonant or only a vowel, which mades sound in a word, being the vowel the more important and the one who receives the stress changes.
    Your definition of syllable is not very clear. I am not sure exactly what you mean by the part I have underlined.

The apprentice is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Dominican Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you 5jj for your reply and correction:

In English, a syllable is a segment of speech consisting of a consonant and a vowel, a consonant and a diphthong, a consonant and a triphthong, a syllabic consonant or only a vowel, which mades sound in a word, being the vowel the more important and the one who receives the stress changes.

I mean that in a syllable in which a consonant and a vowel (a diphthong or triphthong) are involved, the vowel is the more important phoneme. It is the one which makes the main sound in a word and the one which receives the stress pattern whether it be a primary stress, a secondary stress, no stress (Schwa Sound) or a vowel reduction (Schwa Sound); for example:

ECONOMY: /ɪˈkɒnəmi/; in this word the vowels E, O and the semi vowel Y are the ones which make the main sounds and the ones which receive the stress pattern; the vowel E is a short i sound /ɪ/; the first vowel O is a short o sound
    /ɒ/; the second vowel O is an unstressed vowel sound or Schwa Sound /, and finally the semi vowel Y is a long i sound /i/.

Though a vowel can convey a meaning on its own (as A does), something that a consonant cannot do, I recognize that both have and convey sounds (phonemes), but being the vowel the more important sound or phoneme in a syllable.

In regard to syllabic consonants I will post a thread about it later on bacause I consider it to be another issue.

Thanks again 5jj,

Yours truly.

The Apprentice

Last edited by The apprentice; 21-Nov-2013 at 05:58.