• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default understand

Imagine knowing something that awful was going to happen to you. Jesus understands (1) emotional and psychological anguish. The night that Jesus knew they would arrest him, he went to pray, but took some friends with him. "And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, 'My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here and watch [keep awake] with me. And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, 'My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will but as thou wills."5 Though Jesus confided in his three friends, they didn't understand (2) the depth of his torment, and when Jesus returned from prayer he found them asleep. Jesus understands (3) what it's like going through pain and extreme sadness alone.
    The exact meaning of the word understand in the given context is difficult to me to get it. Hence, I want to know if my understanding of its matching below is correct. Thanks.

understand - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

1 To perceive and comprehend the nature and significance of; grasp.

intransitive verb
    : to have understanding : have the power of comprehension
    Understand - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: understand

I would say that 1 and 3 mean "2. know how someone feels
    understand - definition. American English definition of understand by Macmillan Dictionary"

2. means
    1 To perceive and comprehend the nature and significance of; grasp.

1 and 3. It's important to understand (sic) that in these examples, Jesus is presented as having a deep, empathetic understanding of suffering and pain. The subtext is that, whatever pain or suffering a person is going through, Jesus has been through it and understands it. He knows what it's like. (Actually, that's the explicit text of the last line.)
    2. Presenting a contrast to Jesus, Peter and the rest don't understand. But this has the meaning of 2. 'grasp' intellectually as well as feeling.
    Last edited by Raymott; 11-Nov-2013 at 23:42.