[General] Is it common in american english to drop r's when reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

echecsvh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Bolivia
Current Location
Bolivia
Hello, and thank you for answering this question.

My name is Victor and I'm from Bolivia. I have the following question:

Is it common in american english to drop r's when reading? I have heard sections of Harry Potter (the audiobook) in the american version. And somehow I noticed that the reader drops r's, and I know that american english speakers generally don't.

Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, and thank you for answering this question.

Is it common in american english to drop r's when reading? I have heard sections of Harry Potter (the audiobook) in the american version. And somehow I noticed that the reader drops r's, and I know that american english speakers generally don't.

Thank you.

Do you remember which words had the dropped R's?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It really depends where in in the country your are.
In New England, the r's after vowels often were very faint or dropped all together. My name is Barb but after living there for 15 years, I answer to "Bob."
In other areas, you will find the final r sound in words that end in "er" sound like "uh" - mother is like "muthuh."

That's why I often laugh when people say they want "an American accent." There are dozens. (Same with a British accent.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello​. [STRIKE]and thank you for answering this question.[/STRIKE] There is no need to thank us for something we haven't done yet.

Is it common in American English to drop r's when reading? I have heard sections of Harry Potter (the audiobook) in the American version. [strike]And somehow[/strike] I noticed that the reader drops r's, and I know that American English speakers generally don't.

Thank you.

Note my amendments to your post above in grey and red. Remember to capitalise all proper nouns.

Status
Not open for further replies.