Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Feb 2012
    • Posts: 29
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Characters / characteristics

    I have read a question below:
    + Lions and tigers belong to the cat family because they have the same appearance and _______.
    A. characters B. characteristics
    The answer is B. However, I think A is also right because it means the qualities and features that make them different from others.
    Is it also right if A is used in this sentence?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,114
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by cheer965 View Post
    I have read a question below:
    + Lions and tigers belong to the cat family because they have the same appearance and _______.
    A. characters B. characteristics
    The answer is B. However, I think A is also right because it means the qualities and features that make them different from others.
    Is it also right if A is used in this sentence?

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    I disagree with you. While lions and tigers are not the same, they share characteristics, not characters. I also disagree about "the same appearance". Lions and tigers look nothing alike.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I also disagree about "the same appearance". Lions and tigers look nothing alike.
    Yes, they do. They both look like cats. I agree that they don't have "the same appearance", or you couldn't tell them apart.

    @OP. What does it mean when a sentence starts with '+'?

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,114
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, they do. They both look like cats. I agree that they don't have "the same appearance", or you couldn't tell them apart.

    @OP. What does it mean when a sentence starts with '+'?
    A domestic short hair is also a cat.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    A domestic short hair is also a cat.
    Get outta town!
    Sometimes a domestic short hair's fur smells sweet, as opposed to lions and tigers, but I guess you wouldn't accept that.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,114
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Get outta town!
    Sometimes a domestic short hair's fur smells sweet, as opposed to lions and tigers, but I guess you wouldn't know about that.
    LOL! Does the "sweet" smell remind you of rotting corpses?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Feb 2012
    • Posts: 29
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    @OP. What does it mean when a sentence starts with '+'?
    '+' is only a sign like "-" I use at the beginning of a sentence.

    Thanks a lot for all your explanation.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by cheer965 View Post
    '+' is only a sign like "-" I use at the beginning of a sentence.

    Thanks a lot for all your explanation.
    Why not use the conventional English way to begin a quoted sentence: a double quote mark, ".

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    LOL! Does the "sweet" smell remind you of rotting corpses?
    Not at all. I'm just explaining some of the difference between various types of cat. But you're a vet; you should know all this.

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,114
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Characters / characteristics

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Not at all. I'm just explaining some of the difference between various types of cat. But you're a vet; you should know all this.
    I was just kidding with you.

Similar Threads

  1. Good characteristics in a person
    By honeyhoney in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2013, 12:29
  2. characteristics of robinson crusoe
    By germany7amada in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2010, 15:05
  3. qualities/characteristics
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2007, 09:51
  4. modernism - characteristics
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Apr-2006, 19:42
  5. fund characteristics
    By higurashi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2006, 08:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •