Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi teachers,

The thing I was trying to write was: they will start to review my case next month.
But since I wanted to emphasize the object "my case" and the subject "they" was unknown, I thought it would be better to write it in passive voice. So how to do it?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,

The thing I was trying to write was: they will start to review my case next month.
But since I wanted to emphasize the object "my case" and the subject "they" was unknown, I thought it would be better to write it in passive voice. So how to do it?

Thanks.

My case will be reviewed (by them) next year. When one forms the passive voice, the direct object becomes the subject and the subject (if included) becomes the agent. The verb is changed to "(a form of) be + past participle".

llyzs

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My case will be reviewed (by them) next year. When one forms the passive voice, the direct object becomes the subject and the subject (if included) becomes the agent. The verb is changed to "(a form of) be + past participle".

Thanks, so it means I have to drop the verb "start to" in order to form the passive voice. Will the meaning sound a little bit different from the original form since I was trying to suggest when the action will "start"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, so it means I have to drop the verb "start to" in order to form the passive voice. Will the meaning sound a little bit different from the original form since I was trying to suggest when the action will "start"?

The action will start next month.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about using the active without they- The review of my case will start next month?

llyzs

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sounds great, thanks!

How about using the active without they- The review of my case will start next month?

Status
Not open for further replies.