represent the state of Texas at the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think there's slight difference among the answers 3,4,5 as "state" sometimes means "nation" or "local government beloning to state".
If you have any other different opinion, please let me know. Is there any strict distinction between "of state" and "of the nation"?
. In the diagluge below, which is same as (B)state?
① The witness stated that he had seen the man enter the building.
② The press attaches no small importance to the present state of the country. ③ How many state universities are there in L.A.? ④ She was selected to represent the state of Texas at the conference. ⑤ The half-priced apartments are constructed on state-owned land.

Byeongman'd Dad: Here we are. We are going to stay the night here.
Byeongman: Lake Char ... What kind of name is this? I can't (A)even read it.
Byeongman'd Dad: Well, it's a Native American name. You know, North America, originally, was the land of the Native Americans.
Byeongman: You mean Europeans simply took the Native American place names?
Byeongman'd Dad: Right. About half of the (B)state names in the U.S. are from Native American words.
Byeongman: That's a lot.
Byeongman'd Dad: Yes, and many rivers, mountains and waterfalls also have Native American names.
Byeongman: I see. But this lake... The name is too long.
Byeongman's Dad: Don't worry. People just call it Webster lake.
Byeongman: By the way, is it all right if I swim in the lake? The water looks so clean.
Byeongman'd Dad: Sure. But make sure you don't go too far. The lake could be deep in the center.
Byeongman: Don't worry, I won't.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I think there's slight difference among the answers 3,4,5 as "state" sometimes means "nation" or "local government beloning to state".
If you have any other different opinion, please let me know. Is there any strict distinction between "of state" and "of the nation"?
. In the diagluge below, which is same as (B)state?
① The witness stated that he had seen the man enter the building.
② The press attaches no small importance to the present state of the country. ③ How many state universities are there in L.A.? ④ She was selected to represent the state of Texas at the conference. ⑤ The half-priced apartments are constructed on state-owned land.

Byeongman'd Dad: Here we are. We are going to stay the night here.
Byeongman: Lake Char ... What kind of name is this? I can't (A)even read it.
Byeongman'd Dad: Well, it's a Native American name. You know, North America, originally, was the land of the Native Americans.
Byeongman: You mean Europeans simply took the Native American place names?
Byeongman'd Dad: Right. About half of the (B)state names in the U.S. are from Native American words.
Byeongman: That's a lot.
Byeongman'd Dad: Yes, and many rivers, mountains and waterfalls also have Native American names.
Byeongman: I see. But this lake... The name is too long.
Byeongman's Dad: Don't worry. People just call it Webster lake.
Byeongman: By the way, is it all right if I swim in the lake? The water looks so clean.
Byeongman'd Dad: Sure. But make sure you don't go too far. The lake could be deep in the center.
Byeongman: Don't worry, I won't.

#4 is the correct answer.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would read 3,4 and 5 as referring to US states. Without any other information. I am not sure what the point of the exercise is. If "LA" means Los Angeles then it is talking about universities owned by the state of California. And the "state-owned land" probably refers to a US state as well.

You need context to know for sure whether a "state" is a nation or a state within a nation.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Soothing Dave.

Sentences 3 and 4 definitely pertain to states in the US. The inclusion of "L.A" and "Texas" is the context needed to confirm association with the states of California and Texas.

Sentence 5 could be problematic if the context does not pertain to the United States. For example, 'half-priced apartments constructed on state-owned land' in Israel would be built on land owned by Israel.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes, I also agree 5 depeds on the context, but the test-maker seems to think 3 is an adjective, not a noun in a very strict way. Like "How many universities "of state" as in a dictionary definition "PART OF COUNTRY | [FONT=굴림](특히 미국에서) 주(州)[주립]의[/FONT][FONT=돋움] [/FONT]예문닫기 a state prison/hospital/university, etc

But do Americans think in that complicated way?

③ How many state universities are there in L.A.?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I also agree 5 depeds on the context, but the test-maker seems to think 3 is an adjective, not a noun in a very strict way. Like "How many universities "of state" as in a dictionary definition "PART OF COUNTRY | [FONT=굴림](특히 미국에서) 주(州)[주립]의[/FONT]예문닫기 a state prison/hospital/university, etc

In number three, "state" is an attributive noun, which means it is being used as an adjective modifying "university". It specifies the type of university.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I also agree 5 depeds on the context, but the test-maker seems to think 3 is an adjective, not a noun in a very strict way. Like "How many universities "of state" as in a dictionary definition "PART OF COUNTRY | [FONT=굴림](특히 미국에서) 주(州)[주립]의[/FONT]예문닫기 a state prison/hospital/university, etc

No, Americans do not see complications in question 3.
③ How many state universities are there in L.A.? The answer to that question is six. There are six universities in Los Angeles that are funded by the taxpayers of California.

Has the 'test-maker' ever visited the United States? My hunch is "No"! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.