Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: PPS

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 34
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    PPS

    Hallo everyone'
    I have to complete the following sentences using Past Perfect Simple. Could you help me, please? Thanks in advance:)

    I had a shower, then Susie arrived.
    When Susie..............
    We swapped numbers, and the next day he called.
    The day after..............

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 46,715
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: PPS

    We don't do homework.

    How do you form the past perfect?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,471
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: PPS

    Quote Originally Posted by indifferent View Post
    Hallo everyone'
    I have to complete the following sentences using Past Perfect Simple. Could you help me, please? Thanks in advance:)

    I had a shower, then Susie arrived.
    When Susie..............
    We swapped numbers, and the next day he called.
    The day after..............
    In any case, you can't have a Past Perfect Simple tense. It's either simple or compound; and the past perfect is compound because it uses an auxiliary verb. And you've compounded the error by making a three-letter initialism for your non-existent tense.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: PPS

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    In any case, you can't have a Past Perfect Simple tense. It's either simple or compound; and the past perfect is compound because it uses an auxiliary verb.
    I agree.

    However, indifferent's mistake is understandable. There are many otherwise reasonably sound internet sites that insist on labelling all non-progressive forms 'simple'.
    Last edited by 5jj; 23-Nov-2013 at 20:36. Reason: typo

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 34
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: PPS

    Thanks a lot, but passing over the name I'd like to ask you wheather the two transformation are correct:

    I had a shower, then Susie arrived.
    When Susie arrived, I had already had a shower.
    We swapped numbers, and the next day he called.
    The day after we had swapped numbers, he called.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: PPS

    Those are fine. The past simple also works in the second.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,471
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: PPS

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I agree.

    However, indifferent's mistake is understandable. There are many otherwise reasonably sound internet sites that insist on labelling all non-progressive forms 'simple'.
    Yes, so I see. I was brought up with simple and compound tenses, in which, if a tense was compound, it wasn't simple. Now I see that some sites are also calling compound tenses complex. Sorry, indifferent, I guess you can call them what you like.

Similar Threads

  1. [semantics] Nuances of near-synonymous PPs
    By qinhh76 in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2009, 04:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •