There existed someone to whom I could say that I was sorry

Fowler need someone not only to whom he could say that he was sorry, but someone who would understand him. Fowler took a side, he made his choice for the benefit of Vietnamese. He couldn’t stayed neutral any more. But Fowler needed someone to whom he could say that regretted that Pyle was dead. Pyle was guilty in deaths, he stole his girlfriend, sometimes Fowler wanted Pyle to be dead. But somewhere deep in his soul Fowler was sorry for his death. Fowler made that date, but he hesitated. He asked if Pyle had a revolver, he tried to change a place of meeting, he hoped that Pyle was alive. Pyle was under the influence of Harding’s works. Of course, it cannot excuse his actions, but Fowler considered that Pyle was young and innocent. “We can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. Ail you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity”. Fowler knew that he could stopped Pyle, but it was too late. If only he stopped him earlier.
Fowler was not alone, but he was lonely. He was afraid of being misunderstood. If someone would know that he was involved in Pyle’s death, people would that it was a revenge or jealousy. Fowler needed someone to whom he could explain why he did it and just open his heart. On the one hand, Fowler wanted Pyle to be dead and to start his life again - at the point before Pyle came in. On the other hand, he felt a kind of responsibility for Pyle. Pyle was polite, modest, and boyish and he saved hislife. Fowler noticed Pyle's obsession with the Third Force and National Democracy and he could tried to control the situation. Probably, there is no person in Vietnam who can understand all the complexity of relationship between Pyle and Fowler. Everybody in Vietnam is on somebody's side. For the Vietnamese Pyle was an enemy, for the general The – a weapon. Only Fowler realized that Pyle was I victim too. He was too innocent to live. “He was young and ignorant and silly and he got involved in a dangerous game. He never saw anything he hadn't heard in a lecture-hall, and his writers and his lectures made a fool of him.”
Fowler was sorry that he hadn't stopped Pyle earlier. He was shocked when Pyle's shoes were spattered with human remains and he assured Fowler that the victims of the bombing had “died for democracy.” Their deaths were a “pity,” he tells Fowler, “but you can’t always hit your target. Anyway they died in the right cause.”
Fowler needed someone to whom he could say that he was sorry for deaths of the people on the street. Fowler could stopped Pyle, but he hadn’t done it. He wanted to stay neutral, not to be involved. But the woman with a dead child was a point of change. He took a side. Maybe Fowler realized that he made his choice too late. People in the center of Saigon were dead and Pyle was going to die.
I think, that Fowler needed someone who could said that he made a right choice. That Pyle's death was necessary.