Thread: Collocations

CitySpeak Guest

Default Re: Collocations

Quote Originally Posted by jwschang
    Quote Originally Posted by CitySpeak
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    One element of improving your vocabulary is learning which verbs go with which nouns - also called collocations. For example: Do you make or do a mess? Does he miss or lose an opportunity? Here is a series of collocation...

Read more...
    Source: English as 2nd Language
    English as 2nd Language
    I heard someone say "They give a lot of value to their families."
    Isn't "They place a lot of value on their families." more like how it would normally be said?
    I think so.
    give value to - or - place value on
    Yes, it should be place a lot of value on. I don't think the first one is even an English sentence.
    That sentence was spoken by a German speaker. It is a grammatically correct sentence. Collocationally, it is wrong.
    It sounds like suits-talk. Give value to your shareholders, give value to the meeting, add value to this and that....
    I think the speaker perhaps didn't mean placing value but giving value. Strange-speak nevertheless, when family relationships take on business jargon. :wink:

That's an interesting point. Collocations have context, just as individual vocabulary words do.

She - the speaker of this sentence - might have heard "give value" in business. She works for Krups in the states and her first language is German.

:)

CitySpeak Guest

One element of improving your vocabulary is learning which verbs go with which nouns - also called collocations. For example: Do you make or do a mess? Does he miss or lose an opportunity? Here is a series of collocation...

Read more...
    English as 2nd Language
    Isn't "They place a lot of value on their families." more like how it would normally be said?
    I think so.
    Yes, it should be place a lot of value on. I don't think the first one is even an English sentence.
    That sentence was spoken by a German speaker. It is a grammatically correct sentence. Collocationally, it is wrong.
    It sounds like suits-talk. Give value to your shareholders, give value to the meeting, add value to this and that....
    I think the speaker perhaps didn't mean placing value but giving value. Strange-speak nevertheless, when family relationships take on business jargon. :wink:

That's an interesting point. Collocations have context, just as individual vocabulary words do.

She - the speaker of this sentence - might have heard "give value" in business. She works for Krups in the states and her first language is German.

CitySpeak Guest

Read more...
    English as 2nd Language
    I think so.

CitySpeak Guest

Read more...
    English as 2nd Language
    I think so.

jwschang Guest

Wonder if it could be Krups' company policy to give value all around, consumers, shareholders, families, but grammar not included.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12