Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello. in you want to indicate the birth order on a person in a family how do ask?:?:

how about the order of :?:a president. for example, president Obama

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English

Hello. If you want to indicate the birth order of a person in a family, how do you ask?:?:

How about the order of a president. For example, President Obama

This question comes up at least a few times a year.
English does not have a way to ask this question if you are determined to hear "sixteenth" instead of "sixteen". We can't say "how manieth?"

Just say "What number president was Lincoln? What number president was Obama?" The answer will probably be "16th" or "44th" but you have not lost any information if the person says "He was number 16."

Apparently other cultures care a LOT more about whether someone is the second son, the third daughter, etc., than most English-speaking cultures, because we don't notice that there is no easy way to ask this.

Just say "Where do you come in your family? Are you the oldest?" And the person will fill you in on the details. "No, I'm the youngest, I have two older brothers and an older sister" or "I have an older brother and sister, and twin little sisters" or whatever.

Please note in the future that you should use a title for your thread that is about your subject. You could have called this "Birth order." Also please note the corrections I have made to your post. Capital letters are an important part of English.

ahmadmy

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you for your thorough answer. It was a great help. Best regard, Ahmad

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some people have suggested whichth for this, but it hasn't been widely adopted yet.

beesting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
**Not A Teacher or a Native Speaker**
Hello. in you want to indicate the birth order on a person in a family how do ask?:?:

how about the order of :?:a president. for example, president Obama

Chronologically, what is the position of Barack Obama as the President of the United States?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your thorough answer. It was a great help. Best regard, Ahmad

I have heard it as "In terms of first, second, third, which number President is Barack Obama?" It is a little clunky, but it seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.