Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Please tell me whether the underlined comma in the following sentence is required, not required, or optional.

We decided to hold a conference on on Tuesday, December 3, and Wednesday, December 4, 2013.

"Tuesday" and "December 3" are appositive, and I think that the comma is required, but I am not sure.

Similarly, what about the following case?

We decided to make an appeal for opinions from Wednesday, December 11, 2013, to Friday, January 10, 2014, on the subject matter.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
None of the underlined commas is necessary.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The style guides I follow would disagree.

In those guides, the year is always set off with comma if there is a full date. December 12, 2013, and January 4, 2014, are the best dates for this meeting. (Note "December 2012 and January 2013 were the coldest months on record." - No comma because it's not a full date.)

(For the record, the same goes with a state. Columbia, South Carolina, and Jackson, Mississippi, were the two most commonly missed state capital on the quiz.)

Which goes to show that much of punctuation is a matter of style, not grammar. I believe 5jj would agree with me that if you use it one place, you use it in both, and if you omit it in one place, you omit it in both. Consistency is higher on the list of "rules" than most others.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which goes to show that much of punctuation is a matter of style, not grammar. I believe 5jj would agree with me that if you use it one place, you use it in both, and if you omit it in one place, you omit it in both. Consistency is higher on the list of "rules" than most others.
:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.