Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello, I'm having a hard time with the spelling of double consonants in root words.

I can tell, for example, when to add a double consonant when adding a suffix, however in root words like "appreciate", "permission", "struggle", "business", "support", etc, I always get them wrong.

Any help?

Thank you

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What suffix are you trying to add to "appreciate"?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
That's what I mean. I don't have trouble noticing when to double a consonant when adding a suffix. My problem is in root words, when I don't have to add a suffix.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating this. I want to know why I have to write "appreciate" instead of "apreciate", "struggle" instead of "strugle", etc.

Are there any rules regarding this topic?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That's what I mean. I don't have trouble noticing when to double a consonant when adding a suffix. My problem is in root words, when I don't have to add a suffix.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating this. I want to know why I have to write "appreciate" instead of "apreciate", "struggle" instead of "strugle", etc.

Are there any rules regarding this topic?
In many cases, it's historical. That's just the way the word is spelt in English, and that's why you have to spell it that way. But on many occasions, the doubling changes the sound of the preceding vowels. 'Supper' and 'super' mean different things and the 'u' is pronounced differently.
Also different are: hatter/hater, miller/miler, winner/winer ...
There are probably thousands; you might be able to think of some yourself.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it makes you feel any better, natives do use spellcheckers to guide us whether "committee" or "millennium," etc. have double letters. "Commandment" does. "Amendment" doesn't.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have deleted your post for the moment, salvador.dal. We do advise members not to open attachments. We'll get back to you on this. 5jj

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's an attachment with macros- that will trigger security alerts in most programs. Few people will download this because they will start getting messages if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.