Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
When a lady asks a man: "Does it mean you weren't planning to assassinate the king?"
Should the man answer: "Yes (I was planning). Yes. I was," or "No (it doesn't mean). No. I was,"?
Thanks very much.
PS: Please inform me of any mistakes I've made.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As you have surmised, this is one of many situations where a simple "Yes" or "No" is not sufficient. You would have to say something like "Of course I haven't been planning to assassinate the king", or (alternatively - and much more interestingly) "Ha! Zounds! My evil plot to assassinate the king remains undiscovered!"
A classic example of this sort of thing (often quoted before the advent of political correctness) used to be the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?". Answering just "No" indicated that you were still beating your wife; answering "Yes" could mean that you used to beat your wife, but had now stopped. Neither single-word answer could convey the fact that you were appalled at the very idea of wife-beating!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When a lady asks a man: "Does it mean you weren't planning to assassinate the king?"
Should the man answer: "Yes (I was planning). Yes. I was," or "No (it doesn't mean). No. I was,"?
Thanks very much.
PS: Please inform me of any mistakes I've made.

"Yes, I was" or "No, I wasn't".

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"Yes, I was" or "No, I wasn't".
These are the lines I heard in an animation:
Girl: This means you weren't really planning to assassinate his majesty after all, right?
Boy: No. No. I was.

The whole dialogue is quite hilarious. But does it mean the boy is grammatically incorrect?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's not a matter of grammatical correctness, but of context. Both, "Yes, Yes, I was (planning to assassinate his majesty)', and " No, No (You're wrong). I was (planning to assassinate his majesty)', are possible.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It's not a matter of grammatical correctness, but of context. Both, "Yes, Yes, I was (planning to assassinate his majesty)', and " No, No (You're wrong). I was (planning to assassinate his majesty)', are possible.
Thanks. But between "Yes, yes, I was," and "No, no, I was," which is more appropriate in this context?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We don't know exactly what was going through the speaker's mind.

beesting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
For the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" I understand how both yes and no could put the one who replies in trouble but for the question "Does it mean you weren't planning to assassinate the king?", what is wrong in saying yes? Wouldn't here a yes only mean- "Yes.It means that."?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It does not matter if the question was phrased in the positive or negative, really.

Yes, I am planning to. Yes, I was planning to. Yes, I do that. Yes, I did that. Yes, I will do that.
No, I am not planning to. No, I was not planning to. No, I don't do that. No, I never did that. No, I won'd to that.

If you want CLARITY in your communication, use a full sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, "Yes" works fine in the original context. It doesn't matter how the sentence ends. The important part is "Does this mean that ...". Saying "Yes" means "Yes, it means that".

There are plenty of questions to which a straight Yes or No would not work but I don't think this is one of them. Had the question been "So you weren't planning to assassinate the king?", it would not be possible to answer with a simple Yes or No.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
For me, "Yes" works fine in the original context. It doesn't matter how the sentence ends. The important part is "Does this mean that ...". Saying "Yes" means "Yes, it means that".

There are plenty of questions to which a straight Yes or No would not work but I don't think this is one of them. Had the question been "So you weren't planning to assassinate the king?", it would not be possible to answer with a simple Yes or No.

Excuse me. But with the question ""So you weren't planning to assassinate the king?":
Yes -> I was planning to assassinate the king.
No -> I wasn't planning to assassinate the king.
Of course, if he wants to express more shocking, he could add like: "No. Why did you say that?"
I don't see any problem with Yes/No answer here.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Excuse me. But with the question ""So you weren't planning to assassinate the king?":
Yes -> I was planning to assassinate the king.
No -> I wasn't planning to assassinate the king.
Of course, if he wants to express more shocking, he could add like: "No. Why did you say that?"
I don't see any problem with Yes/No answer here.

I wouldn't use a Yes/No answer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.