Help with formal e-mail, please (urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silentia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hi! I need help writing a formal e-mail. I am at a complete loss here. I don't even know where to start or what information I should provide. I'm not a native speaker and this is the first time I've had to write a formal letter/e-mail in English, so I hope you will help me.

This is the situation: I have placed a book order with a UK publisher on Friday, December 13th. However, when I logged in to my internet banking today, I discovered that it has been billed to my account twice - one on Friday and the other one today (Tuesday, Dec. 17th). I have already confirmed with my bank that both requests came from the publisher, so I need to write them now and ask them to solve this somehow.

I'll be very grateful for any help you can provide - I'm anxious to solve this as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Silentia.

In situations such as this, don't worry about your English - which appears to be good anyway.

1. Simply tell the publishers the situation - "I ordered title on date. My bank statement tells me that you have charged me twice for this one order. Please refund the second charge immediately, and confirm to me that you have done so."

2. Tell your bank that the publisher has wrongfully charged you twice for one order - "I note from my statement account number that publisher's name has charged my account twice for one order, and that you have debited my account twice for the same order. I authorised only one payment. Please credit my account immediately with the amount of xxx debited in error, and confirm to me that you have done so."

Silentia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thank you very much!
I guess these issues always seem more intimidating than they really are - especially where there's money involved.
But I'm relieved now - I'm sending it right away.
Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.