Thread: leads

Post Thanks / Like

Default leads

I need some leads on the dynamic nature of English I will present a paper some time next week

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Overwelmed

I am so overlelmed with this site I get so confused some times I need proper directions on how to use the site. ie Replying a thread sent to me

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overwelmed

Try here for help: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/faq.php
    If a thread is sent to your email, then clicking on the link in the email will open that thread. You can then go to the end of the thread if it's a long one, using the controls at the bottom of the page.

With regard to your question about the dynamic nature of English, it is a language that has always been able to change and do so very quickly. It isn't a pure language but a mixture of languages fom the various people who settled in what is now Great Britain, so it developed from the mixing of peoples (Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Normans). It also became an international language a long time ago, so it has been able to adapt to new countries over a considerable period of time. This means that is can absorb new words easily, create new forms and change grammar to adapt to the needs of the speakers. A noun can become a verb overnight if we feel a need for it. An example of this would be 'handbag' in British English. Margaret Thatcher waved her handbag at some European politicians when angry and the verb 'to handbag' was born for aggressively challenging people. This felxibility is one of the great strengths of the language.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Puntuation

Thank you for that piece, it was very helpful in the presentation of my paper.
    English is very dynamic that is why it has continued to grow. Unlike french English is accomodating of other languages entering into its vocabulary.
    I would like to have some help in puntuation marks when to use : and ;

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like