Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi guys,

I have some questions about auxiliary verbs. Should I learn more about auxiliary verbs? I think the auxiliary verbs are has, have, will, be etc. While I was learning English grammar from the book called the Grammar Girl, I discovered that the book did not covered auxiliary verb (I used the search function in the e-book.) I have another grammar book called the Painless Grammar, it did not covered as well.

Can someone enlighten me? By the way I heard about auxiliary verb when I was young, I'm supposed to learn British English in my country, but the Grammar Girl and Painless English (American English) made learning grammar so much easier and fun. Thanks..

Last edited:

panglossa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
I'm not sure that a grammar book which leaves out difficult topics in case they stop language-learning looking like fun is really to be recommended...:)

Yes, you definitely will not make any progress in English without a basic knowledge of auxiliary verbs. (It would be a bit like learning how to build a brick house without knowing how to mix cement...!)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi guys,

I have some questions about auxiliary verbs. Should I learn more about auxiliary verbs? I think the auxiliary verbs are has, have, will, be etc. While I was learning English grammar from the book called the Grammar Girl, I discovered that the book did not covered auxiliary verb (I used the search function in the e-book.) I have another grammar book called the Painless Grammar, it did not covered as well.

Can someone enlighten me? By the way I heard about auxiliary verb when I was young, I'm supposed to learn British English in my country, but the Grammar Girl and Painless English (American English) made learning grammar so much easier and fun. Thanks..
It depends on whether you are simply learning to speak English, or specifically learning grammar. You seem to understand and be able to use auxiliary verbs (should, did, supposed to). Perhaps you just don't know that they're called auxiliary verbs. Some people call them helping verbs. If you want to be able to claim to know and understand English grammar, you'll need to study more than those basic texts.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many people call verb like will/can/must modal (auxiliary) verbs.

green8

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
It is important for you to learn the auxiliary verbs. They are helpful in expressing tense, as well as in asking questions, e.g. With Yes/No questions you need auxiliary verbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.