Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Help - analysing a sentence and tearing my hair out!

Hi,

Would any one be kind enough to help me with the following sentence analysis:

I force myself to take his hand and I pull him gently from the settee.

I think that I is a personal pronoun, I don't know what 'force myself to'is, then I think take his hand is the main clause, and is a coordinating conjuction and the rest is a subordinate, or could it be relative clause? Giving a compound sentence overall????

I have been trying to work this out all afternoon and really need some guidance.

Thank you

Trudie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help - analysing a sentence and tearing my hair out!

If "and" is a coordinating conjunction, then the rest is not a subordinate clause. And a coordinating conjuction is not a relative pronoun, so that rather rules out a relative clause as well. What other types of clause are there?

"I" is a personal pronoun, and it is also the subject of the sentence. The first "I" is the subject of which verb? There are two possibilities: "force" and "take" -- which do you think it is?

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, getting even more complicated! I don't know maybe take because you could lose the force and it would still make sense? T

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, getting even more complicated!
    I don't know maybe take because you could lose the force and it would still make sense?
    The only clauses I know are main, subordinate and relative. If we are ruling out relative does that mean that the main clause is 'I pull him gently from the sofa' and the subordinate clause is in fact the 'I force myself to take his hand'?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    Just 2 sentenses are connected with "and". They are independent. There is no main clause or subordinating in a sentense connected with a coordinating conjuction.

I hope it helps