• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default doubts about the use of "get"

1) This pizza is delicious but I don't know if I can get through it all.

When talking about food is "get through" the same of "eat up" or "finish up", that is, to eat it all? Do you use with the same meaning?

2) While I was doing an exercise I came across this sentence: Grandma broke her leg, and it was a long time before she was able to get....... again on her own.
    I had to place the correct preposition in the gap and I thought about "over" immediately. Checking the answers I found out that the correct answer is "around". What do you think about it? I know that "get over" means "to recover"..."to overcome a problem or a difficiculty", why do you think "around" is the correct one?

I think that get over a problem is to overcome it by sorting it out, while get around a problem, is not to face it but just going around it, maybe playing it down. Am I wrong?

Thank you very much for your help.

Weaver67 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: doubts about the use of "get"

(neither a teacher mor a native English speaker)

As I see it, in your first sentence the meaning of "get trough it all" is equal to "deal with something succesfully" or "manage to do something" or simply "eat it all".

In your second sentence, to my mind, "....on her own" agrees better with "get around" (or get about), which means "to move from place to place" or "from person to person".

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: doubts about the use of "get"

Quote Originally Posted by caesar1983 View Post
    1) This pizza is delicious but I don't know if I can get through it all. I would say "I don't know if I can finish it".

When talking about food is "get through" the same of "eat up" or "finish up", that is, to eat it all? Do you use with the same meaning?

2) While I was doing an exercise I came across this sentence: Grandma broke her leg, and it was a long time before she was able to get....... again on her own.
    I had to place the correct preposition in the gap and I thought about "over" immediately. Checking the answers I found out that the correct answer is "around". What do you think about it? I know that "get over" means "to recover"..."to overcome a problem or a difficiculty", why do you think "around" is the correct one?

I think that get over a problem is to overcome it by sorting it out, while get around a problem, is not to face it but just going around it, maybe playing it down. Am I wrong?

Thank you very much for your help.
    In the given context the phrasal verb "get around" means "move from place to place". Have a look at the third definition here: Get around - English Phrasal Verb - UsingEnglish.com