Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"take care" as a phrase is normally used at the end of a conversation, right?

But in the below paragraph, how appropriate is the usage of "take care". (said to someone the night before his exam)

Bob... Good night. You take care. Good luck with the exams. Sleep tight. Pray well. It'll all be fine.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"You take care" is commonly used in AmE at the end of a visit. The speaker admonishes the departing visitor not to carelessly get hurt on the way home. But the admonition is not to be taken very seriously. It is light-hearted and has synonyms such as "Safe home."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Bob... Good night. You take care. Good luck with the exams. Sleep tight. Pray well. It'll all be fine.
I'm wondering how Bob is going to sleep with all those instructions to remember.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's just what we say.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have heard people say "We need to pray about this" or even an encouragement to "pray hard" but "pray well" doesn't work together very well - if one has an open heart, can one pray badly?

But more importantly, we discourage suggesting a person follow a religious practice that the speaker may follow but the listener may not.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I suppose, "I need this, God, and I need it now!" is praying badly. But I don't hold myself to be an expert on prayer; I could never get it to work.

beesting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have heard people say "We need to pray about this" or even an encouragement to "pray hard" but "pray well" doesn't work together very well - if one has an open heart, can one pray badly?

But more importantly, we discourage suggesting a person follow a religious practice that the speaker may follow but the listener may not.

How about "God bless you"? Isn't that too, in an indirect sense, ignorance of the other person's beliefs?

By the way, I don't think the term "prayer" carries religious connotations. Most religions do practice prayer but I think, prayer in itself, is a totally exclusive act. The word has got a million interpretations.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about "God bless you"? Isn't that too, in an indirect sense, ignorance of the other person's beliefs?

By the way, I don't think the term "prayer" carries religious connotations. Most religions do practice prayer but I think, prayer in itself, is a totally exclusive act. The word has got a million interpretations.

For me, "prayer" has only religious connotations.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Completely agree.

And there is a difference in passively accepting that someone has asked for a blessing on your behalf with "God bless you" and accepting that you have just been told to follow a directive that you don't believe in.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I tend to agree with the previous comments but "only" might be a little too emphatic! Refer to definition #7 in Collins.

"Do you think he has a prayer of getting that job?" (A negligible hope or chance) I'm not sure 'prayer' in this sense refers to a religious experience.

Cheers,
A4

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fair enough, A4. That "prayer" (the noun) does indeed have a a non-religious meaning of "chance." (Thus proving how silly it is to use "always" or "never" or "only" because someone always comes up with an exception!)

But the verb "pray" (as in being told to "pray well") really doesn't have other connotations.

beesting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Fair enough, A4. That "prayer" (the noun) does indeed have a a non-religious meaning of "chance." (Thus proving how silly it is to use "always" or "never" or "only" because someone always comes up with an exception!)

But the verb "pray" (as in being told to "pray well") really doesn't have other connotations.

Actually I said so because some days back I had come across an article by an Indian spiritual teacher called Osho, and he was giving various interpretations for the term "prayer" like he said, for him, anything done out of love was prayer.(like touching someone compassionately, an artist doing his work, making love, e.t.c) , and he was totally against religions. But then today I read an interview of his, where when asked if he use AmE or BrE, he said he speaks "Osho English". So, it was my fault. Sorry.:oops:

By the way, if we know that the person we are speaking to share the same religious beliefs, then how appropriate is the expression "be prayerful"?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
By the way, if we know that the person we are speaking to shares the same religious beliefs, then how appropriate is the expression "be prayerful"?
It is not natural English to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.