Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In the US over 40% of food grown is never eaten. In order to get food from farms to consumers' mouths is a long process. The food must be grown, harvested, packed, transported to stores, sold, and finally stored in people's kitchens.

Is the above text natural? is any amendment required?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US over 40% of food grown is never eaten. In order to get food from farms to consumers' mouths is a long process. The food must be grown, harvested, packed, transported to stores, sold, and finally stored in people's kitchens.

Is the above text natural? is any amendment required?

Thanks.

I would change "In order to get food from farms" to "Getting food from farms".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Getting it stored in kitchens doesn't mean it gets eaten, or even to consumers' mouths. So I wouldn't use "finally" for the 'stored' phrase - especially if a significant proportion of the 40% not eaten has been bought and stored before being thrown out.

Last edited:

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Consumers' mouths OR consumer's mouth, Raymott?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We usually talk of people storing food in a pantry. That said, a whole lot of the food in the US is stored in restaurants and stores as well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We usually talk of people storing food in a pantry. That said, a whole lot of the food in the US is stored in restaurants and stores as well.

I don't know anyone these days who has a pantry. Most food is stored in the fridge, the freezer or in the kitchen cupboards.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A lot of American homes have a pantry (as well as cupboards). I don't in my current house, but did in prior homes, including the one I grew up on. We may be talking about different things though. A small closet with shelves and a door in the kitchen.

But Ray has a great point - I"m sorry to say I end up throwing out a lot of veggies that go bad in the fridge because we don't eat them in time. (Oddly, the ice cream never seems to go to waste!)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know anyone these days who has a pantry. Most food is stored in the fridge, the freezer or in the kitchen cupboards.

Probably true but it doesn't change the use of "pantry" when speaking of people storing food.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Probably true but it doesn't change the use of "pantry" when speaking of people storing food.
Surely it does. Nobody I know speaks of storing food in a pantry, because none of them has a pantry.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Surely it does. Nobody I know speaks of storing food in a pantry because none of them has a pantry.

But some people have pantries. I know several who do.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A lot of American homes have a pantry (as well as cupboards). I don't in my current house, but did in prior homes, including the one I grew up on. We may be talking about different things though. A small closet with shelves and a door in the kitchen.

Indeed, I say again, many American homes do, if we're talking about the same thing.

We even use the word "food pantry" (in some parts of the US at least) to refer to a place where public and private donations provide food for people without enough to eat. Not a "food kitchen" where they serve you meals, but a place where you can get groceries when you're having a hard time making ends meet.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

That's a pantry in BrE too. They're not common now,but you do find them in older houses.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Surely it does. Nobody I know speaks of storing food in a pantry because none of them has a pantry.

I meant when speaking generically, in the aggregate.

Status
Not open for further replies.