Post Thanks / Like

Default what do adults need to do?

I'm from Malaysia and fresh graduated from University.I need an opinion about what do adults need to do in order to learn a second language?
    It's said that adults who intend to learn a second language with a good
    accent and pronunciation are going to face much more difficulties than
    a young person.

First, because they are shy and they are afraid of making mistakes. Second, because they need a lot of explanation about grammar and everything. So, the fluency ends up being damaged. On the other hand, when an adult overcome these barriers and assimilate the language, he/she will hardly forget what he/she has learned. I've been facing this problem too.I have difficulty in pronunciation, and I usually don't have the opportunity to practice the second language out of the classroom and I'm afraid of telling the doubts or making a mistake in front of the classmates.

So, I would like to ask you for help on how to motivate and
    how to make me feel more comfortable to ask questions, to participate
    more and also how to get my pronunication better.
    I know it's hard, but I believe it's possible, isn't it?
    Could you help me, please?
    Thank you.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what do adults need to do?

It is harder for adults to acquire a perfect accent, but that doesn't mean they can't speak the language well. It doesn't matter that much if you have an accent as long as people can understand you. The easier it is for people to understand you, then the better your accent is. Bsically, don't be shy- if you don't speak, then no progress will be made. From your post, you have nothing to worry about in terms of language. When speaking to people try to watch them carefully to see if they have understood you. If you think they might not have, then try 'reformulating', which means repeating something with slightly different words. there are other strategies you can use- an introductory phrase before you say the imporatnt information can give the listener time to focus in on what you're saying. I haven't had many students from Malaysia, but I was there last month for a holiday and I found that I had no problems understanding people, even those with a fairly limited command of the language. I think you might find that your pronunciation is better than you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, by the looks of what you have written it sounds like you have a great command of English! Seriously! Just need practice using it and not getting to self conscious about your mistakes or your pronounciation.
    From what you have said this sounds like a common problem here in Japan where I am. With kids it is a matter of having fun to relax them with adults it is more difficult to relax them sometime.
    Do you have any foreign friends? maybe just go out on the town with them. This might sound crazy but it worked wonders for a couple of people I know but how about a few beers and just chatting with friends. This might get rid of your self consciousness and improve your pronounciation at the sametime.
    Also remember in my opinion the most important thing is using English for communication, it doesn't have to be perfect so long as the people concerned understand each other. I mean that is the whole point right?
    Best of luck!

Teach English in Japan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ilyana
    I'm from Malaysia and fresh graduated from University.I need an opinion about what do adults need to do in order to learn a second language?
    It's said that adults who intend to learn a second language with a good
    accent and pronunciation are going to face much more difficulties than
    a young person.
    First, because they are shy and they are afraid of making mistakes. Second, because they need a lot of explanation about grammar and everything. So, the fluency ends up being damaged. On the other hand, when an adult overcome these barriers and assimilate the language, he/she will hardly forget what he/she has learned. I've been facing this problem too.I have difficulty in pronunciation, and I usually don't have the opportunity to practice the second language out of the classroom and I'm afraid of telling the doubts or making a mistake in front of the classmates.
    So, I would like to ask you for help on how to motivate and
    how to make me feel more comfortable to ask questions, to participate
    more and also how to get my pronunication better.
    I know it's hard, but I believe it's possible, isn't it?
    Could you help me, please?
    Thank you.
    We seem to be our worst enemy sometimes, these imaginary people that will make fun of us usually don't exist, and if they did, they would be cruel insipid, and jealous to poke fun when someone is truly trying to excell.You have to dream first, then realize your dreams.We are traveling in a spaceship through space at such speed that we circle the entire sun in only 365 days. We don't have to wear a special suit or be confined to any specific area in this ship. We have an enormous variety of food for nourishment.We are free to do as we please, when we please.Basically we do what we want and we don't do what we don't want to do.So, what was your question?