• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the paragraph cohesive?

Hi everyone,

Now I am translating the chinese standard for testing the tempered glass lids into English,but I am not sure whether some of them are correct or conform to the logical ways of westners.I would apprecicate it if you could help me.

The following is a paragraph I have translated.I donít know whether the paragraph is cohesive .

Testing Methods :place the tempered glass lid horizontally onto the 20 mm wooden board with the concave side downward, drop one 225g steel ball from a certain amount of height above the board (For grade A the height is 1500mm,grade B 1250 mm,and grade C 1000mm) to strike the middle circular part between the central hole of the lid and its edge. ( the width of the circular part is one third ofthe radiusofthe tempered glass lid) , but the fanning part around the vent shall be kept away from being struck. The fanning part is between the two lines drawn from the central hole,whose included angle are 90įand which are symmetrical to the joining lineof the central hole and the vent .The strength resistance testing is followed by the temperature resistance testing.

Thank you all

Richard Ding.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is the paragraph cohesive?

certain amount of height above the board- certain height (the rest seems unnecessary to me, but 'amount of' is wrong)
    ( the width of the circular part is one third ofthe radiusofthe tempered glass lid) - as this is a new sentence, the brackets don't make sense to me
    kept away from being struck- from the ball dropped
    whose included angle are 90į- not sure, but I'd say which are at 90 degrees
    joining lineof the- line joining the...

PS what do you mean by the 'fanning part'? It could be right, but I don't understand the term

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.It has given me a great help.
    I have make corrections as follows.I am wondering whether it is ok?

place the tempered glass lid horizontally onto the 20 mm wooden board with the concave side downward, drop one 225g steel ball from certain height (For grade A the height is 1500mm,grade B 1250 mm,and grade C 1000mm) to strike the middle circular part between the central hole of the lid and its edge. The width of the circular part is one third ofthe radiusofthe tempered glass lid. The fanning part around the vent shall be kept away from the ball dropped. (The fanning part is between the two lines drawn from the central hole,whose included angle are 90 degrees and which are symmetrical to the linejoining the central hole and the vent .)Followed by strength resistance testing is the heat and temperature difference resistance testing.

And as for the fanning part ,I mean the part in a circle.Draw two lines from the center of the circle whose included angle are 90 degrees to join the circumference.Then how do we call the part among the two lines and the arc?

Thanks

Richard

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You could say the part that fans out at 90 degrees from the vent

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi tdol,

Thank you very much! I have corrected as follows.

Testing Methods : place the tempered glass lid horizontally onto the 20 mm wooden board with the concave side downward, drop one 225g steel ball from certain height (For grade A the height is 1500mm,grade B 1250 mm,and grade C 1000mm) to strike the middle circular part between the central hole of the lid and its edge. The width of the circular part is one third of the radius of the tempered glass lid. The part that fans out at 90 degrees from the vent shall be kept away from the ball dropped. (The part is between the two lines drawn from the central hole,whose included angle are 90 degrees and which are symmetrical to the line joining the central hole and the vent .)The strength resistance testing will be repeated one time as above mentioned shortly after the heat and temperature difference resistance testing.

Best Regards

Richard
    Last edited by sky753; 25-Mar-2006 at 03:04.