Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers,

Is there any difference between these sentences?

I'm travelling a lot these days.
I've been travelling a lot these days.

Thank you

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Offroad, you've been a member long enough to know that a better title would have been 'I'm travelling/I've been travelling'.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

The difference is that #1 (if you'd numbered them) means that you are still travelling, and #2 means you no longer travel so it should end with 'recently' instead of 'these days'.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

Is there any difference between these sentences?

I'm travelling a lot these days.
I've been travelling a lot these days.

Thank you

I hate to disagree with Rover, because when I do, I am usually wrong. :)

However, with "these days", I think your second has the same meaning as the first.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Offroad, you've been a member long enough to know that a better title would have been 'I'm travelling/I've been travelling'.
'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'
The difference is that #1 (if you'd numbered them) means that you are still travelling, and #2 means you no longer travel so it should end with 'recently' instead of 'these days'.
Dear Rover, if you know how or/and have the power to edit the thread title, please do so! Thank you!;-)

I hate to disagree with Rover, because when I do, I am usually wrong. :)
However, with "these days", I think your second has the same meaning as the first.
Dear Mike, to my ears, even with 'recently', there is very little or no difference between those two sentences. Personally, I would use/say the second over the first though.

The first one I took from Swan (2005) 3rd Edition - Practical English Usage (page 448). In it, Mr Swan states, and I quote:
When we talk about temporary continuing actions and events, which are just going on now or around now, we usually use a present progressive tense.

Thank you

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Mike, to my ears, even with 'recently', there is very little or no difference between those two sentences. Personally, I would use/say the second over the first though.

The first one I took from Swan (2005) 3rd Edition - Practical English Usage (page 448). In it, Mr Swan states, and I quote:

Thank you

I agree with you even with "recently". With either form, it gives me the impression that you are still traveling often.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't find the second one natural with "these days", like Rover, I would suggest "recently". The travelling has stopped. If you want to suggest that the travelling is continuing, use the first one.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't find the second one natural with "these days", like Rover, I would suggest "recently". The travelling has stopped. If you want to suggest that the travelling is continuing, use the first one.

I don't agree. The speaker is describing a pattern. There is nothing in #2 that suggests that the pattern has stopped.

Consider these sentences. I am eating more fiber these days/recently. I have been eating more fiber these days/recently. Neither guarantees the pattern will continue forever, but neither suggests that pattern has stopped.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't think "these days" works with "I have been..."

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers,

One last final question:

Could we assume this is just a AmE/BrE difference?

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.