• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best resources/ textbooks for teaching ESL to beginners/intermediate

Hello.

My name is Patrick an this is my first post on this forum. I am living in a city in China with a population of over 1 million people and it seems that I am the only non-Chinese person here. I have been here for 1 week and I am just getting settled in.

I am teaching in a training centre. I have a few years of teaching experience. I am teaching English to Chinese children.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any resources or textbooks to assist me in my teaching (price is not an issue). I would like a set of resources that are all encompassing. Something that has a teacher's manual and workbooks and activities for the children to undertake.

I am a believer that teaching should be child-focused and that the learning activities should reinforce my teaching rather than lead it. I have many ideas already but I feel a bit like I might be re-inventing the wheel if I create all of my own resources.

I apologise if this thread is redundant by it being already addressed somewhere else in this forum.

I would greatly appreciate any responses and/or suggestions.

Thank you,

Patrick.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best resources/ textbooks for teaching ESL to beginners/intermediate

Welcome to the forum?

Is this the first time you have taught children?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best resources/ textbooks for teaching ESL to beginners/intermediate

I've never taught children so can't make any recommendations, but there are some resources here that may help: Young Learners - ESL Web Directory - UsingEnglish.com

BTW What ages are the children?

Paddywhack is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

@ emsr2d2

Thank you. I have taught children for about four years. I'm an elementary/primary school teacher. I have never taught ESL but I have taught another language.

@ Tdol

Thanks. Children are in four groups. 5-6 years, 7-8 years, 9-11 years, 11+ years. There is also a varied range of ability within each group. The teaching that I have observed so far in the training centre has looked a little robotic. There seems to be a big focus on rote learning and repetition. While I do think that this kind of learning does have some merit it looks very boring for the children.

Annie99977 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

@paddywhack

Hi Patrick. My name is Annie. I have taught children in china for 2 years for the same school and they didn't give me much in the way of help. I had to find most of my materials myself online and it was exhausting at times. I am going back to China again to teach English to children aged 3-12 and I wondered, did you find any good student books with a teachers manual to help you? I have been looking at the let's go series:
    Let's Go 3rd Edition) but I am not sure about them yet and would like to have more options.

Thanks!