English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
China
Hello.

My name is Patrick an this is my first post on this forum. I am living in a city in China with a population of over 1 million people and it seems that I am the only non-Chinese person here. I have been here for 1 week and I am just getting settled in.

I am teaching in a training centre. I have a few years of teaching experience. I am teaching English to Chinese children.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any resources or textbooks to assist me in my teaching (price is not an issue). I would like a set of resources that are all encompassing. Something that has a teacher's manual and workbooks and activities for the children to undertake.

I am a believer that teaching should be child-focused and that the learning activities should reinforce my teaching rather than lead it. I have many ideas already but I feel a bit like I might be re-inventing the wheel if I create all of my own resources.

I apologise if this thread is redundant by it being already addressed somewhere else in this forum.

I would greatly appreciate any responses and/or suggestions.

Thank you,

Patrick.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum?

Is this the first time you have taught children?

Paddywhack

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
China
@ emsr2d2

Thank you. I have taught children for about four years. I'm an elementary/primary school teacher. I have never taught ESL but I have taught another language.

@ Tdol

Thanks. Children are in four groups. 5-6 years, 7-8 years, 9-11 years, 11+ years. There is also a varied range of ability within each group. The teaching that I have observed so far in the training centre has looked a little robotic. There seems to be a big focus on rote learning and repetition. While I do think that this kind of learning does have some merit it looks very boring for the children.

Annie99977

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Philippines
@paddywhack

Hi Patrick. My name is Annie. I have taught children in china for 2 years for the same school and they didn't give me much in the way of help. I had to find most of my materials myself online and it was exhausting at times. I am going back to China again to teach English to children aged 3-12 and I wondered, did you find any good student books with a teachers manual to help you? I have been looking at the let's go series:
Let's Go 3rd Edition) but I am not sure about them yet and would like to have more options.

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.