Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: help needed for this paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by ear-m
    we couldn't resolve this question...there are many different opinions of the members for either AA or DD
    At least we've moved from B, D to A, D. That's a good start.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    At least we've moved from B, D to A, D. That's a good start.
    I'm so sorry it was my mistyping......

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Welcome, John Willemse.

Ah, yes, but "they" refers back to the closest plural noun, that noun being "'independent countries". That is,

a- Today, Yugoslavia has been divided into a number of independent countries. However, it took four years of occasional and often bitter fighting before they (i.e., those countries) fully achieved it (i.e., independence)."

But why single out Croatia? It's new information. That is, the passage is not about Croatia, per se, it's about Yugoslavia. What about the other countries? Aren't they just as important?
    that was what I ment ....

and...they refers to countries which are breaking up(that formed the kingdom are now breaking up...)

Crotia was one of those... they refers to this those here....

Hint [2]: "Yugoslavia began gradually breaking up. _______. However, [the break up for wasn't that easy or simple for the kingdom], it took four years . . . ."
    it's not the breaking up which was hard but it was to achieve the independence.....

Am I somewhere wrong in this paragraph????????

• Post Thanks / Like

Let's compare A and D. (Please note, words in square brackets [. . . ] have been added by me. They represent omitted words. For example,

D. After his death in 1980, Yugoslavia began gradually breaking up. Croatia was one of those [countries] to declare its independence from Yugoslavia. However, it took four long years . . . before they fully acheived it. Note, 'they' refers back to the omitted noun ['countries'].)

Moving on to your statement:
    they refers to countries which are breaking up that formed the kingdom are now breaking up
    Given D, yes, I'd agree. However, we need to look at what comes before the blank as well as what comes after the blank. Watch the topics here:

Choice D
    1st sentence: Yugoslavia
    2nd sentence: Croatia
    3rd sentence: they (countries formally known as Yugoslavia)

After his death in 1980, Yugoslavia began gradually breaking up. Croatia was one of those to declare its independence from Yugoslavia. However, it took four long years . . . before they fully acheived it.
    Why does the author mention Croatia? Why not one of the other countries? What is the topic of the passage, Croatia or Yugoslavia?

Choice A
    1st sentence: Yugoslavia
    2nd sentence: Yugoslavia
    3rd sentence: they (countries formally known as Yugoslavia)

After his death in 1980, Yugoslavia began gradually breaking up. Today, Yugoslavia has been divided into independent countries. However, it took four long years . . . before they fully acheived it.
    Choice A fits nicely. It stays with the topic of the passage. Again, 'they' refers back to the closest plural noun, 'independent countries'.

Hint [2]: "Yugoslavia began gradually breaking up. _______. However, [the break up for wasn't that easy or simple for the kingdom], it took four years . . . ." it's not the breaking up which was hard but it was to achieve the independence.....
    Agreed, 'the break up wasn't easy or simple for "the kingdom" ', as a whole, not just Croatia. So, then, why choose D? It singles out Croatia. Perplexing, that choice D, but nevertheless not a viable choice. Again, check out the adverbs of time. They are the key clues.
    Last edited by Casiopea; 23-Mar-2006 at 16:51.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2