Post Thanks / Like

Smile Does computer can replace teacher?

Well...as we know learning via online become spread widely in learning field over the world. The students become very excited learning especially English language via online. I know that there are a lot of benefits that we gain if we learn through online because there are so many free websites that can help us as student in learning English language. But, is't really usefull to us or we still need a teacher as a guidance? Which one do you all prefer? Learning via online or face to face class with teacher? What you all out there think? Hope to here your comment.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does computer can replace teacher?

I teach both online and face to face and I don't think a coputer can replace a teacher completely, but it can do a lot of useful work for learners. The fact that they can acess things when they want for free gives them advatages that were simply not possible until very recently. however, the biggest advantage to me is not the computer's ability to serve up tests and references, but the ability to put people in touch with other people. Things like forums make it possible for learners to ask what they want, when they want and to get answers from all over the world, which is only possible through the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Intersting question, ilyana. I agree with tdol about the usefulness of forums. Forums are a great way to share experiences with other students. That said, I believe that in the early stages of learning a language, a breathing teacher sharing a room with you cannot replace an online course or webpage. Why? Might be just me but I need to ask a whole lot of questions at the beginning and the immediacy of a teacher keeps the flow between question and answer smooth. Whearas in an online course it might not be as fast (unless you have one teacher per student, I've never taken one so I don't know anything about the way they work, feel free to correct me on this ).

After a certain point, I think it depends on the way you learn. I've always been somewhat independent, not a loner but one who enjoys the pleasures of solitude. Most of what I know I learned it by myself (and I had loads of fun too!). Maybe you'd benefit more from a classroom experience, maybe not.

Which one I like best? Hmm, that's a toughie. I concentrate better alone but I like the interaction in a classroom. I'd say I like a mixture of both.

Abby

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I think blended learning, which mixes the two, is likely to grow in importance and popularity over the coming years.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been my experience that teaching directly with a computer compliment works extremely well, if you have the right programs to support your needs.

An interactive classroom provides a human network, friendships, and support groups which can enhance understanding, stimulate learning, and motivate more regular attendance.

The more senses we use to learn something, the more pathways we create for recall. The more we practice a new skill, the more proficient we become.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ilyana
    Well...as we know learning via online become spread widely in learning field over the world. The students become very excited learning especially English language via online. I know that there are a lot of benefits that we gain if we learn through online because there are so many free websites that can help us as student in learning English language. But, is't really usefull to us or we still need a teacher as a guidance? Which one do you all prefer? Learning via online or face to face class with teacher? What you all out there think? Hope to here your comment.
    I feel that both of them can be used to facilitate learning.Students will be more motivated ıt the classes are a mixture of the two.Only paper and pencil way is not absolutely enough for students and as well as teachers.
    Bihterada

Post Thanks / Like

The internet or web sites offering English services without a teacher can be thought of just like educational software on CD (that sits at the bottom of most people's desk drawers.) I don't think they are anything more than fancy books.
    There is a definite draw to these programs because they are "interactive" at times, but when it comes down to it, it's still learning. Students are still going to need to study. Many people tire of these programs very quickly (and I think it's because of the lack of human interaction, spontaneousness, and variety, but I haven't done any research.) If you're motivated to learn on your own, the internet can be a valuable source but books and CDs provide the same.
    I'm not against computer learning and I think there's a wonderful role it can play. I make learning games myself. www.marks-english-school.com/games.html These games go over well at first but students don't want to play them over and over again. Also, most students don't speak when using the programs. So, I use these games to strike up motivation and interest but I use them sparingly.
    Now. add in forums, skype, instant messenger, on-line radio, podcasts and so on and the spectrum of tools for learning has grown dramatically. I guess I would say that internet learning should be seen as a very positive method for learning and a dedicated, motivated student might be able to learn English using only these, but I think the majority need more.
    Excellent thread!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that many of the CDs I have seen are clunky and slow to use- the presentation becomes overwhelming, especially when they get carried away and you have to keep clicking endlessly just to do a single exercise. I do agree with you, Mark, that the human element in online stuff makes it much more interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you ask your question in a different way so it is correct? It can asked like this: Can or Will the computer replace the teacher?
    This is the first point. The second point is that members should write compact replies to questions so we can get the fast piece of information out of their replies.

Remember that neither the computer nor any other machine will replcae the tecaher. This is what I personally think.

Shosho

Post Thanks / Like

Shosho - Sometimes it's not so easy to reply with short answers. Sometimes, we need to explain a little better.
    To be honest, I always appreciate it when someone goes out of their way to write an indepth reaponse to a thread I start or in response to a comment I make.
    Remember that neither the computer nor any other machine will replace the teacher
    I think there will be a day a computer can replace a teacher.