Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

please can anybody help me to understand what is the difference between predicate and predication. How do I recognize these in sentence? I have these two examples of simple coordination:

Coordination of predicates:
Peter washed the dishes and cleaned all the windows.

Coordination of predications:
Peter will wash the dishes and clean all the windows.

What is the difference? How do I recognize which one is predicaate and whih one predication?

Many thanks!

K

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I don't know if this will help, but.....

Predication requires a subject and a predicate. The subject is the sentence part about which the predicate tells something, and the predicate is the sentence part which tells something about the subject. That would seem to be an impossible set of definitions, except for the fact that subjects and predicates ALWAYS come as pairs (whether they are compound or not). You can't have one without the other.

A simple predicate is always and only a verb or verbs.

This is classic, basic Reed-Kellog. Predication is not a part of a sentence. Rather, it is a process, like modification, complementation, subordination, duplication (appositives), and coordination. A predicate, whether simple or complete (including all modifiers and complements), is a part of a sentence.

I hope this helps.

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I should add that verbs are NOT always and only simple predicates. "Verb" is a part of speech -- different from a part of a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.